Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What was he trying to do?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
What was he trying to do?

I thought at first he was after the armband , maybe he just believes the referee will feel more connected ( bonding) with him, if he touches his arm, and less likely to sanction him????

Its often exhibitted by soccer players where they pat, caress and put their arm over their 'new bestest mate' ( the referee) , hoping it will influence the outcome.

Ref handled it well, extricated his arms, warned player with a finger, and then moved away. At lower leagues I wouldn't turn my back though cos of the absence of cameras., or maybe it was his fault for being too close to Gorgodze? ..sorry I meant Matai !

Message for LLP, another shoulder/upper arm whack into the face, maybe this defensive coach's CV will also now be winging its way to a career path into Union !! :sarc:

Last edited:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Trying to explain to the ref what happened in the tackle apparently

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I thought the ref handled the touching well, there was clearly no malice in it from the player, the ref realised what he was trying to do and told him to be careful.
What let him down was it was a high shot and should have got a yellow card for it though I'm not sure if that is in the RL remit these days.
I certainly would have given him 10 minutes in RU. I don't think it was a deliberate high shot but it was dangerous enough to warrant 10 for me.

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
I thought the ref handled the touching well, there was clearly no malice in it from the player, the ref realised what he was trying to do and told him to be careful.
What let him down was it was a high shot and should have got a yellow card for it though I'm not sure if that is in the RL remit these days.
I certainly would have given him 10 minutes in RU. I don't think it was a deliberate high shot but it was dangerous enough to warrant 10 for me.

Manly's Steve Matai has lost his bid to avoid a one-match ban for a grade one contrary conduct charge, and will miss the Sea Eagles' Round 9 clash with Newcastle.

The centre was sanctioned for making contact with referee Matt Cecchin during the Sea Eagles' win over Melbourne on Saturday.

The former Kiwi Test star also entered an early guilty plea for a separate charge, a grade one high tackle on Melbourne centre Will Chambers.

[Taken from NRL site}

judiciary_resultsR8.jpg

This is also a list of the outcome of all charges in NRL games last week

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Good to see that contact with the referee is robustly discouraged.:clap:

But ctrainor, in RL a 'high shot' is seemingly an oxymoron, as anything below the very top of the head doesnt qualify !

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Good to see that contact with the referee is robustly discouraged.:clap:

But ctrainor, in RL a 'high shot' is seemingly an oxymoron, as anything below the very top of the head doesnt qualify !
Can you change the record please? This one is wearing a bit thin.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Can you change the record please? This one is wearing a bit thin.

No OB, I won't.

Tackling high is IMO a virus, and RL apparent unwillingness to deal with it via on pitch sanctioning is the spread catalyst of a blight on RU, and a contributory factor to the concussion increases seen generally.

If you disagree ( or any like'rs then fine, thats the perogative of everyone) but don't tell me to remain quiet at my distain for the encouraging of it via RL pitch unsanctioning.

Crikey we are now seeing ' clothes lining' off the ball, another 'skill' I don't recalling seeing before tackling around the Adams apple became fashionable !!
http://www.rugbyonslaught.com/2015/05/bill-meakes-red-carded-for-horror.html

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
You can surely find a way to voice your disapproval without constantly screeching about those evil Northern monkeys ruining your precious game, non? I can talk about Union for months at a time without being tempted to even think the phrase "kick and clap"...