[Line out] Contested Throw-in, Uncontested Lineout

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If a team contests the throw-in, i.e. by jumping for the ball, is it able to avoid contesting the line-out thus preventing maul formation?

No examples, just thinking about it in an otherwise mindless moment on a run. I cannot remember it ever occurring, but is that just because no coach has tried it?

Does it make any difference if the contesting jumper is not near the ball, e.g. the throw goes shorter, or well over him to the back?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
If a team contests the throw-in, i.e. by jumping for the ball, is it able to avoid contesting the line-out thus preventing maul formation?

No examples, just thinking about it in an otherwise mindless moment on a run. I cannot remember it ever occurring, but is that just because no coach has tried it?

Does it make any difference if the contesting jumper is not near the ball, e.g. the throw goes shorter, or well over him to the back?

What matters is if the non-throwing team form a maul or do not form a maul. Anything that happens prior to that is irrelevant. If they were to contest the throw-in, they would need to make sure there is no holding of the catcher when they come back down.
I would say the reason you haven't seen it done is that the defenders want to,
(a) be organised when the catcher comes back down and
(b) make it clear to the referee that they are not forming a maul

The IRB directive on how to manage the situation as a referee, does not mention non-contesting of the line-out. It talks about the subsequent drive by the team in possession after the ball is won.

"If the defenders in the line out choose to not engage the line out drive..........."

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The contest for the line out ball is nothing to do with any subsequent maul. That only happens if we get BC + TM + OP binding as per the maul law. Whether or not you jump for the ball means diddly squat to that.