[Maul] Correct decision when a maul/ruck wheels

Voetap

Referees in America
Post Likes
During a recent match the Blue team took the ball into a maul, which gradually swung around so that most players involved were now facing their opponents' side of the field. Blue was still moving the maul towards the Red team's goal line.

Blue's captain (also a referee) urged me to award a penalty for offsides against Red, implying that the defenders were required to break off and rejoin from their side of the field. I declined on the basis that none of the Red team's players had become unbound during the incident.

Later, in the quiet of my boudoir, I revisited Law 17 for clarification, but could not find any that directly applies to a wheeled maul. The law only refers to offside lines (17.4a) for players joining (17.4.b-d) or leaving the maul (17.4.e-g), but not to those that remain in a maul that has swung around.

Similarly, Law 16.5 does not say what should happen if a ruck should be wheeled. This may be harder to imagine happening, as players tend to break off from rucks and rejoin from their side of the field for obvious pragmatic reasons. Neither Laws 17 or 16 appear to require that this must happen, do they?

Should one apply Law 20.11 (scrum wheeled beyond 90°) to a maul or ruck that is wheeled?

Does the ball become the offside line, as can happen in a lineout (Law 19.4.c & 19.4.g), so that Red is forced to retire to their side of the ball?

Or is there another a law or interpretation that better covers these situations?

I guess that one could argue that the maul ended "unsuccessfully" as the ball had become unplayable (Law 17.6.b), and so Law 17.c applies. Despite moving forward, Blue could not easily get the ball back to their players. And so a scrum should have had to be awarded to Red as the team not in possession before the maul started.

Apologies in advance if I have missed a blaringly obvious solution!

TL,DR - when a maul (or ruck) is wheeled, should a referee apply Law 17.c in favour of the team not in possession, as the ball has become "unplayable"?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
provided the players remain bound to, or caught up in, the maul then they are not offside and do not need to break off and re-enter. If they do choose to break off, then they need to re-enter from the hindmost feet nearest their goal line. The ball does not become the offisde line.

Provided the maul contiunes to move it has not ended and may continue to rotate, etc.

Be wary of players trying to drag opponents out of the "wrong" side of the maul.

And welcome, Voetap, to the forum. Nice to see another Saffer on board.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Agree with Dickie E. If the Blue's captain (they're often "refs": Ho ho ho) was correct surely HIS players were offside too!

Voetap

Referees in America
Post Likes
provided the players remain bound to, or caught up in, the maul then they are not offside and do not need to break off and re-enter. If they do choose to break off, then they need to re-enter from the hindmost feet nearest their goal line. The ball does not become the offisde line.

Provided the maul contiunes to move it has not ended and may continue to rotate, etc.

Be wary of players trying to drag opponents out of the "wrong" side of the maul.

And welcome, Voetap, to the forum. Nice to see another Saffer on board.

Thanks for the response and welcome, Dickie!

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Sound advice from Dickie E as always, beware the curve ball though ;)

Voetap

Referees in America
Post Likes
Agree with Dickie E. If the Blue's captain (they're often "refs": Ho ho ho) was correct surely HIS players were offside too!

Yes, it did occur to me that both sides would have been offsides. No, I checked, the captain is an actual certified referee in the same referees' society to which I belong - although I am not unfamiliar with the phenomenon of discovering that I have 30 referees with me on the field, come match day! Not to mention the dozens who know better along the touch lines, right?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Once the maul has wheeled 180, the "hindmost" player can simply break off with the ball and be ahead of many opponents. Even 90 degrees would give a significant advantage.

I am also puzzled that apparently Red continued pushing, albeit in the wrong diretion. (Surely Blue could not be pulling that hard?)

However weird things happen and I agree that no whistle is needed unless the maul collapses or stops etc.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
One thing I'd be mindful of is this. Normally, if a maul stops moving, you'll say to the #9 "that's once"* and wait to see if the maul starts moving for a second time.

In the OP where there are players all over the place I'd be inclined to blow it up as soon as it stops moving the first time.

* had a SH respond to me with "that's once what?" a few seasons ago. SMH. :)

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Yes, it did occur to me that both sides would have been offsides. No, I checked, the captain is an actual certified referee in the same referees' society to which I belong - although I am not unfamiliar with the phenomenon of discovering that I have 30 referees with me on the field, come match day! Not to mention the dozens who know better along the touch lines, right?

Indeed. Refs on either side are usually a pain in the backside. Worse than SHs for verbals!

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
What makes it even harder for you is when all of those other "referees" see a Super Rugby ref tell a defender, who is still bound legally, to "go back around".

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What makes it even harder for you is when all of those other "referees" see a Super Rugby ref tell a defender, who is still bound legally, to "go back around".

Yes indeed...or when World Cup Referees say "Use it once" when the maul stops moving forward!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Interestingly though, if the whole maul swings around 180° so that everyone is on their opponent's side of the maul, and then (using the OP's example) a blue player breaks off, where does he rejoin?

[LAWS]17.4 OFFSIDE AT THE MAUL
(e) Players leaving or rejoining the maul. Players who leave a maul must immediately retire behind the offside line, otherwise, they are offside. If the player rejoins the maul in front of the hindmost team-mate in the maul, they are offside. The player may rejoin the maul alongside the hindmost team-mate.
Sanction: Penalty kick on the offending team’s offside line[/LAWS]

Practicality demands that he can join the Red players which would still see him joining behind the hindmost foot of his own player (buried somewhere in the middle of the maul)

The OP's question does bring up an issue that I have not seen satisfactorily resolved... what happens to the offside lines when a maul swings around 180°?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... The OP's question does bring up an issue that I have not seen satisfactorily resolved... what happens to the offside lines when a maul swings around 180°?
I would say .. nothing happens to it. Moving the offside line with the maul just makes no sense.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I guess that one could argue that the maul ended "unsuccessfully" as the ball had become unplayable (Law 17.6.b), and so Law 17.c applies. Despite moving forward, Blue could not easily get the ball back to their players. And so a scrum should have had to be awarded to Red as the team not in possession before the maul started.

If you mean award a scrum due to wheeling - this gives a strong incentive to the defenders just to twist the maul around, though. As it is, the incentive isn't there because Blue would end up with players behind Red's defence line. However, if Blue can't get the ball out, in the end it's unplayable and Red get the scrum.

I don't see any reason in law not to just play on and blow for unplayable when the maul stops moving. Players joining, leaving or out of the maul have an offside line of the rearmost teammate's foot (although I can see an argument for making it the rearmost player in the maul's foot, regardless of team), and the maul carries on. Just keep playing until there's a reason to whistle.

I am also puzzled that apparently Red continued pushing, albeit in the wrong diretion. (Surely Blue could not be pulling that hard?)

One sees it in junior games regularly; the struggle is the ball-carrier and an opponent wrestling over the ball, sinking into each other for possession rather than using it to contest ground. It tends to stalemate.

The OP's question does bring up an issue that I have not seen satisfactorily resolved... what happens to the offside lines when a maul swings around 180°?
[LAWS]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular](a)[/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]The offside line. There are two offside lines parallel to the goal lines, one for each team. Each offside line runs through the hindmost foot of the hindmost player in the maul. If the hindmost foot of the hindmost player is on or behind the goal line, the offside line for the defending team is the goal line.[/FONT]
[/LAWS]

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Despite moving forward, Blue could not easily get the ball back to their players.

Peep, it's not coming out guys. Turnover.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I hate to put it like this because I just know that Dickie will have a field day with it but, if the maul goes the full 180 degrees, it has just become a pulling contest (if the maul is to keep moving goal line to goal line).
Best to follow Phil's advise, "Peep, it's not coming out guys. Turnover. "

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Players joining, leaving or out of the maul have an offside line of the rearmost teammate's foot (although I can see an argument for making it the rearmost player in the maul's foot, regardless of team)

Oops, that *is* the law, brainfart there. So, a pretty good argument. :D

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
But if you leave the maul with the ball the maul is over so it would be play on.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
"Blue's captain (also a referee) urged me to award a penalty for offsides against Red, implying that the defenders were required to break off and rejoin from their side of the field. I declined on the basis that none of the Red team's players had become unbound during the incident."

If he is indeed a bona fide referee he will know the real answer to that-and is bluffing. Invite him to point out that particular piece of law in your handy law book in the bar in front of witnesses.

I also vote for quick whistle if it stops or has spun 180- degrees (so it becomes a pulling contest); Turnover ball (you do remember who took it in, don't you?)

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think the situation as describe does create a law conundrum given where it implies that a player is allowed to join, but I can't think of a time I've seen a maul rotate where the ball carrying team has not sheared away to either run the ball or form a new maul. If it got to that situation, I think I'd be blowing it up as unplayable rather than allowing it to turn into a pulling contest with all of the associated dangers of collapse.

As for the player-as-ref situation, I think Drift Red Carded a fellow ref who had the temerity to argue a decision beyond what was acceptable, and if I remember rightly, Menace has carded at least two junior refs who were playing in games he officiated!!!!