Crouch, Touch.................Engage

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just watched L. Irish v Glos. Several scrums I didn't hear the word "pause". Am I going deaf or did anyone else notice?

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
Do I hear the words pot, kettle and black marching with inexorable certainty towards this thread?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I am only as old as the woman I feel..........and the present Mrs E is younger than me :biggrin:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
the present Mrs E is younger than me :biggrin:
:wink: And the present Mrs T is younger than I

I vote for "me" in this context. The most powerful argument is that it sounds much more natural, which is why it gets used despite pedantic opposition.

Grammatically it is easy to justify as well. You merely need to accept that English has three forms of the personal pronouns: nominative, indirect, and disjunctive. The first two are used as subject and object of a verb, the third is used after prepositions, and when not directly associated with a verb. Of course the actual forms of the second and third happen to be identical but that is not so in some other languages eg French (je, me, moi).

It is therefore correct to say "She is younger than me", as well as "She is younger than I am".

It is, of course, still wrong to say "between you and I", though that hypercorrection has become so prevalent that it may well become an idiomatic exception in due course.

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
Which is all very well and groovy but did anyone hear Mr Richard use the word "pause"?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Grammatically it is easy to justify as well. You merely need to accept that English has three forms of the personal pronouns: nominative, indirect, and disjunctive. The first two are used as subject and object of a verb, the third is used after prepositions, and when not directly associated with a verb. Of course the actual forms of the second and third happen to be identical but that is not so in some other languages eg French (je, me, moi).
It is, of course, still wrong to say "between you and I", though that hypercorrection has become so prevalent that it may well become an idiomatic exception in due course.

He's talking in a foreign language again :(

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
ah, someone other than me questioning an elite referee's engagement sequence :)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
He's talking in a foreign language again :(
What, English?
Just wait until we start discussing appropriate use of the subjunctive!

What do they talk in warwickshire (Shakespeare's home ;) ?)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
What, English?
Just wait until we start discussing appropriate use of the subjunctive!

What do they talk in warwickshire (Shakespeare's home ;) ?)

That's not standard English; that's geeks English.

In Warwickshire we speak Elizabethan English :wink:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
And now, back to our regular progrmming ....

Having not been privy to the broadcast (we get squat in the ex-colony of America) I'd assume the referee was just matching the tempo of the packs trying to beat each other to the 'hit'.

Was there any problems in doing this? Were both sides in sync?