Daftmedic's 1st year as a referee (self analysis)

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
As the title eludes too, this is my first season as a referee.
society:
Suffolk and North Essex.

distance:
Average distance per game 135 miles. Longest 325 and shortest 25 miles round trip.

I started season with a few 7's tournaments which I would recommend for fitness reasons. For the first couple of months I was refereeing social teams at level 13-12 which although very entertaining took a higher degree of managing. My assessments went well and I was then allowed to start refereeing Merit1 rugby.
Merit1 in Suffolk is generally made up of grizzled older players who are very good at "bending" the laws in a sneaky way and so I learnt very quickly that if I'm quick to a break down situation it reduces potential flash points. All my assessments again went very well. I have also brought into my game praising players for doing as I ask and I've seen a massive reduction in stupid penalties because a) I am being more proactive b) players responded very well to praise. Things that assessor's have said though is that, "You have an over familiarity with the players, although it's working for him at the moment, it may bite him when he progresses higher".
At this stage of the year I was put on the "colts" circuit as the society sees them as a great development tool for referees a) speed of the game b)better standard of rugby (generally) than Saturday games. All I have to say is WOW these young adults are quick and have a passion for the game. Again assessments were generally favourable but with a caveat of, "positioning needs to be more proactive". Which I agree with because on Saturdays my speed and fitness gets me through when I was caught flat footed.
This brings me to just before Christmas. A local rivalry with our county town teams (Suffolk has no cities) the year before there was an incident that was managed after the game by the constabulary.
Very physical game little flash points here and there but I kept a tight leash on it with a Red Card for running in 15 meters and getting involved in a scuffle. From then on nothing.
Just after the Christmas break I was given level 10 and basically carried on with Merit One but with mid week games to cover. In the last two months I've been given AR and 4th appointments at county games and been appointed to AR at county/EC cup games (Adults) and been in the middle for colts games.
This year will culminate with my appointment to GK/IPA international sevens tournament on the 4th May and level 9 appointments.

Points to work on:
Positioning, positioning, positioning. As I progress I can't rely on my pace and fitness to get me out of some lazy positioning. I know I'm still very new to refereeing but it's something I need to nail down and quickly. Also as an assessor has said, over familiarity can get you in tight spots and I need to strike a balance with humour and banter to the players.

Conclusion:
A very hard but rewarding year. Refereeing is truly a thing that, "The more you put in, the more you get out".
Next year I've set a goal of being awarded my federation tie, baring injury I believe this is achievable. But with anything it will take hard work from me.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
You might want to have a think about your running lines
That's my round trip to games.
Ive purchased an arm strap for my IPhone for next year so I can monitor miles ran etc

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Well done.

Wouldn't bother with the distance per game thing.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
@Beckett50 yer I know I went with evidence. Next year that will be replaced with on pitch statistics ( he says with only putting in 1/3 of travel claims). But I enjoy it.

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Now you just need to stop racing wingers to the try line and showing off when I'm watching during a break in my games and you'll be elite level :p