Defenders leave a ruck. is it over?

Andy P

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Hi,

Ruck formed, ball towards the back on Blue's side. Red players all step back from the ruck, disengaging. I take it that is the end of the ruck?

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not in my games otherwise it would remove all offside lines at the will of the defence and chaos would follow.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Ruck ends successfully when the ball leaves 16.6 or unsuccessfully when it becomes unplayable and a scum is ordered 16.7. It also ends if a penalty or free kick is awarded.
The laws do not allow any other way to end the ruck.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
The defending team can not de ruck a ruck neither can they de maul a maul

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Ruck ends successfully when the ball leaves 16.6 or unsuccessfully when it becomes unplayable and a scum is ordered 16.7. It also ends if a penalty or free kick is awarded.
The laws do not allow any other way to end the ruck.

Also ends when the ball is over the goal line.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Not in my games otherwise it would remove all offside lines at the will of the defence and chaos would follow.

Agree with this 100% but I wonder why the IRB don't add similar wording to the ruck law as they do for when all defenders leave a maul so that the offside lines are clear to all for the defending team ie: foremost foot of the foremost player (of the team in possession).
Just saying.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
would be interesting to see if a team in possession after the "de-ruck" could control the ball well enough to strat walking up the pitch

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
[LAWS]Clarification 3 2007

Ruling in Law by the Designated Members of the Rugby Committee
Ruling3-2007
UnionGRU
Law Reference16
Date 1 October 2007
Request
1. A ruck is formed and the ball is playable for Team A. All players in Team B now leave the ruck and step back. Is there still a ruck or has the ruck ended?

Ruling in Law by the Designated Members of the Rugby Committee
A ruck ends successfully when the ball leaves the ruck or when the ball enters in goal i.e. on or over the goal line.

A ruck ends unsuccessfully when the ball becomes unplayable.

As there has been a ruck formed initially, AND the criteria for a successful or unsuccessful ruck have not been exhibited, then the ruck has not ended.[/LAWS]

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
would be interesting to see if a team in possession after the "de-ruck" could control the ball well enough to strat walking up the pitch

Nah.... they'd travel <5m, before defenders rejoined the ruck to stop them :shrug: