Defending scrum-half

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yeah, let's have a thread in here, too.

The scrum half of the team not having the put-in shall retire immediately behind his last row of forwards.

How far away from the scrum should he be allowed to go to defend the blind side? Had one recently who wanted to be at least five yards laterally away, and I brought him back in until he was a bit further than an arm's length off the second row (he didn't complain).

RLRef1984

Referees in England
Post Likes
I always says arms length of the loose forward , usually up here they are grabbing hold of him anyway

scarletjack

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not 100% but i think the SH can go anywhere in a lateral line from the back of the scrum

RLRef1984

Referees in England
Post Likes
Nope the Scrum half has to remain in the immediate vicinity of then scrum until the balls out, he cannot join the defensive line or wander away until then. Get gas to remain with the loose forward

scarletjack

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Nope the Scrum half has to remain in the immediate vicinity of then scrum until the balls out, he cannot join the defensive line or wander away until then. Get gas to remain with the loose forward

law reference please
i believe the SH can join the defence line but if doing so must remain there until the scrum is over

RLRef1984

Referees in England
Post Likes
The law is the one quoted by 4eyesbetter with the key word being immediately, however theres the chance youve hit out part of the forum by accident