Devil went down to Georgia....

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
....and he took ExHookah and DDjamo with him.

We're off to Fort Benning for the 2011 USA Armed Forces National Championship!

Here's the Army TV wrapup from the 2009 event:

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/H6uiSh0GdCo?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/H6uiSh0GdCo?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Stu, never mind.
They'll ask for you next year.

And then remember you rejected them this go round and pull the offer back

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Looks like a good time was had by all; but did anyone else feel that some of the FRs were charging?

IIRC the British had some event to "develop inter service camaraderie" a few years ago. It ended up with a mass brawl. You couldn't make it up gents. :biggrin:

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Jebus, I'm glad you're not a counsellor for a day job!

Stu, never mind.
They'll ask for you next year.

And then remember you rejected them this go round and pull the offer back

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Looks like a good time was had by all; but did anyone else feel that some of the FRs were charging?

IIRC the British had some event to "develop inter service camaraderie" a few years ago. It ended up with a mass brawl. You couldn't make it up gents. :biggrin:

An uncharitable person might suggest that this is not entirely unsurprising, given the frequent FIPAC operations conducted by elements of both services in certain towns...

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
did you see the trained hobbit refereeing in that vid?

ExHookah

Post Likes
did you see the trained hobbit refereeing in that vid?

My wife keeps telling me that the gold USA Rugby referee jersey is unflattering, I'm starting to agree with her.

I could not wear the jersey they gave us in that final, as it was a grey camo design, so I would have blended in with the Air Force lads.

ExHookah

Post Likes
Looks like Jamo starts the day tomorrow with the US Marines vs US Air Force, and I will have the Coast Guard vs the Army.

The weather is perfect, the pitch is like a crown green bowls lawn. Time to settle into our officers quarters and get some sleep for the night.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The weather is perfect, the pitch is like a crown green bowls lawn.
The green is square grass covered surface (approx 40 ft) with a slight raise in the middle usually (9 – 15 inches) (known as the “crown”). There is a ditch surrounding the green which is the borderline for play.
http://www.worldbowler.com/crown-green-bowls/

I once set a quiz question: What sport has a playing area measuring approximately 12 * 12 * 12? (slight cheat by mixing measurement systems - 12m * 12m * 12")

ExHookah

Post Likes
Round 2 kicks off on Friday morning. Looks like I get to AR for Jamo in the Army vs Navy match.

No pressure there Jamo!

ExHookah

Post Likes
Here's the schedule board, with the results at the close of Day 1. (note that the standings table is not placed in order, the results added only in wax pencil)

2011-11-02_17-15-50_306.jpg

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I assume the USCG is a bit more than 20 blokes with binoculars and a phone like it is here! :biggrin:

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Isn't it a bit unfair on the Marines to force them to have to play the whole of the USA? I thought this was a forces tournament...

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Why doesn't the CIA have a team?

ExHookah

Post Likes
Here's one interesting incident from the tournament:

Dangerous tackle occurs at 29 seconds into the video.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/vxtiaR8mzkM?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/vxtiaR8mzkM?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
That's very interesting. I'd say that the tackled player's actions were a large part of the problem.

ExHookah

Post Likes
That's very interesting. I'd say that the tackled player's actions were a large part of the problem.

Because he jumped to catch the pass? This is the defence that the Army coaches were trying to offer. They even went so far as to suggest that the Marine should have been given a yellow card for what they felt was a case of jumping into a tackle.

None of the 3 of us had any doubts. I was the AR on the near side (the one who is as wide as he is tall). After watching the DVD that night what was noticable was that we ALL took a sharp intake of breath and commented that it looks even worse on video. The forward momentum of the ball carrier totally stops, and then the Army center absolutely slams him back to ground.

We noted to the Army coaches that a player who lifts an opponent off the ground is obligated to bring him down again. One of the coaches, with a wry smile, said "Well sir, he got him there just as fast as he could"