Disruptive People

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
After some boorish behavior by players, coaches and spectators, there was the inevitable discussion as to what a referee can do. At least Oregon has removed any doubt as to the ability of a referee to get the problem people out of the area.

164.276 - Authority of sports official to expel persons from sports event
A sports official may order a coach, team player or spectator to leave the premises at which a sports event is taking place and at which the sports official is officiating if the coach, team player or spectator is engaging in inappropriate behavior.

[2003 c.629 §2]
Note: See note under 164.274

164.278 - Criminal trespass at sports event
(1) A person commits the crime of criminal trespass at a sports event if the person:

(a) Is a coach, team player or spectator at a sports event;

(b) Engages in inappropriate behavior;

(c) Has been ordered by a sports official to leave the premises at which the sports event is taking place; and

(d) Fails to leave the premises or returns to the premises during the period of time when reentry has been prohibited.

(2) Criminal trespass at a sports event is a Class C misdemeanor.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
After some boorish behavior by players, coaches and spectators, there was the inevitable discussion as to what a referee can do. At least Oregon has removed any doubt as to the ability of a referee to get the problem people out of the area.

164.276 - Authority of sports official to expel persons from sports event
A sports official may order a coach, team player or spectator to leave the premises at which a sports event is taking place and at which the sports official is officiating if the coach, team player or spectator is engaging in inappropriate behavior.

[2003 c.629 §2]
Note: See note under 164.274

164.278 - Criminal trespass at sports event
(1) A person commits the crime of criminal trespass at a sports event if the person:

(a) Is a coach, team player or spectator at a sports event;

(b) Engages in inappropriate behavior;

(c) Has been ordered by a sports official to leave the premises at which the sports event is taking place; and

(d) Fails to leave the premises or returns to the premises during the period of time when reentry has been prohibited.

(2) Criminal trespass at a sports event is a Class C misdemeanor.

Wouldn't it be great to have something like that available when you get idiots like the one Scarlet Al had to deal with a while back.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Wouldn't it be great to have something like that available when you get idiots like the one Scarlet Al had to deal with a while back.

We have something like it at football grounds in the UK.

Frankly, most people find it a bit "uncomfortable".

I mean, sure, the Laws which prevent alcohol being consumed within sight of the pitch while football is being played came about for good reason - the football hooligan problems we had in the 1970s and 1980s.

But it seems a little crazy when your 7 year old plays in a summer football tournament in the local "proper club" stadium (to give the kids a sense of occasion) and the few dozen parents sitting in the stand (designed to hold 30,000 people) can't have a beer or glass of wine with their picnics!

And I can see this being similar. A Good Thing at a major league event - but can you really imagine having a parent at an U14 game arrested for "Criminal Trespass"?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I've asked for a few people to be removed to the club house in my time over the years usually people who have no Idea of the laws and are biased and had a drink.
Clubs usually deal with it otherwise they know an abuse form will go in and authorities will take a dim view.
Ultimate sanction for me would be, "I don't need to hear that kind of personal abuse, I'm going home!!!.....................one day

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
We have something like it at football grounds in the UK.

Frankly, most people find it a bit "uncomfortable".

I mean, sure, the Laws which prevent alcohol being consumed within sight of the pitch while football is being played came about for good reason - the football hooligan problems we had in the 1970s and 1980s.

But it seems a little crazy when your 7 year old plays in a summer football tournament in the local "proper club" stadium (to give the kids a sense of occasion) and the few dozen parents sitting in the stand (designed to hold 30,000 people) can't have a beer or glass of wine with their picnics!

And I can see this being similar. A Good Thing at a major league event - but can you really imagine having a parent at an U14 game arrested for "Criminal Trespass"?

Round here? Yep. Fairfax Police run a lot of youth sports around here - soccer, baseball, and now rugby as well. I can imagine that if a complaint was made in their jurisdiction, they'd take it seriously.
Reading the statute, it's trespass only if they fail to leave. If you assume that the correct management steps - gradual escalation - have taken place, then I'm OK with it being a criminal offence; particularly where the kids are involved

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
W but can you really imagine having a parent at an U14 game arrested for "Criminal Trespass"?

Actually, yes. Some people just don't get it when they are asked to leave. Maybe you get to deal with better parents, but that is not the case here. And rugby is still one of the better ones.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I find peer pressure works best. Only had to do it once.

"I am not re-starting this game until you have left the playing enclosure and gone to the clubhouse."

As soon as everyone else realises what happening the offender is on their own and gets no support fromn the rest of the crowd (I use the word crowd in it's broadest possible sense :biggrin: ). Hard to refuse to leave under thoses circumstances, with everyone looking at you and waiting for you to leave. :Looser: