Diving over the ruck to score

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
So diving over to score a try appears to be ok, what about jumping over in open play to make a break

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
ctrainor:286110 said:
So diving over to score a try appears to be ok, what about jumping over in open play to make a break

Scrum half makes a pop pass to incoming centre who hurdles the ruck?

For me clearly dangerous, someone is likely to receive a boot to the head

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Yes, I agree, but this is not in any way., shape or form the same as diving over players on the ground.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm struggling with seeing how this is legal.

If a 9 picks up the ball at the back of a ruck just behind the goal line and while diving to score over his knee or elbow catches one of the defenders on the head getting to his feet at the back of the ruck - what would you do?

Many agree that hurdling players in open play can be done on a "any contact with the boot on the hurdled player constitutes foul play" basis, so does that mean any contact from the attackers legs on any of the defenders (including those in the ex-ruck) would constitute foul play when leaping over an ex-ruck?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

could the defending team lie on the ground head to toe across the field from touch line to touch line about 10 metres out from their own goal line? At some point an attacker would need to jump over one of them and hence be guilty of foul play

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

If a 9 picks up the ball at the back of a ruck just behind the goal line and while diving to score over his knee or elbow catches one of the defenders on the head getting to his feet at the back of the ruck - what would you do?

How is this any different from the 9 trying to blast his way through two or three tacklers and an elbow catching one of them in the head as he does so.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

If it was C&O foul play I'd penalise, if not, I'd award the try.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
could the defending team lie on the ground head to toe across the field from touch line to touch line about 10 metres out from their own goal line? At some point an attacker would need to jump over one of them and hence be guilty of foul play

nah, take the easy drop goal :pepper:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
So, the ball carrier has the ball at the back of the ruck. With all his players in front of him. And he jumps over them. Using them as a shield from would-be tacklers.

Some might consider that to be offside/blocking/obstruction.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Would be tacklers are looking elsewhere/not in a position to defend... if he was my TMO - "Patrick, was it material?" ;)

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
this issue is not addressed specifically in law. it is basically a situation that needs to have a decision made on the spot. trying to attach absolutes is not going to work. if you do you will run into things like, "well he dove over his head and that's dangerous...but if he dives over outstretched legs - that's okay..." what will you allow? anything? some? or penalize it every time?

make the decision on the day IMO. isn't that our purpose?