Double tackle u14 - impact of the second tackler on the neck of the player falling on the ground | Would you consider this as a dangerous play?

Luke

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Hi, I'd like to hear some opinion on this kind of play. During this weekend game the player got hurt by the secondary tackler while commiting the double tackle. It follows from the game the second tackler attended to tackle low but while impacting the ground he hit the neck/head of attacker. What would you say about this? Thank you for all you opinions
Best regards
Please see the record here:

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Hi, I'd like to hear some opinion on this kind of play. During this weekend game the player got hurt by the secondary tackler while commiting the double tackle. It follows from the game the second tackler attended to tackle low but while impacting the ground he hit the neck/head of attacker. What would you say about this? Thank you for all you opinions
Best regards
Please see the record here:
Hi, I'm a little confused on which part you're referring to. Perhaps you could provide the YouTube timestamp of the incident? Was a penalty called or time stopped to address the injured player immediately?

Luke

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Hi, I'm a little confused on which part you're referring to. Perhaps you could provide the YouTube timestamp of the incident? Was a penalty called or time stopped to address the injured player immediately?
Hi, 9.53 is the timestamp of the incident. No penalty was called, time was not stopped.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
if it is clear he has hit the head/neck area, it is liable to penalty no matter what height the ball carrier was at.
For me in real time very difficult to see but probably penalty only however the second tackler looks like he knew what he was doing!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Looks like an accidental clash....at U14 level stop play.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'd agree with both of the above. The second tackle was unnesessary but at younger youth age groups experience and judgement can be in short supply. It can occasionally be difficult to seperate deliberate actions from unintended consequences but thats what we're there for.

Incidentally to what age group do girls and boys continue to play together?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'd agree with both of the above. The second tackle was unnesessary but at younger youth age groups experience and judgement can be in short supply. It can occasionally be difficult to seperate deliberate actions from unintended consequences but thats what we're there for.

AIUI in England up to U12. Scrum binds around the hips not through the crotch (if scrums still exist at that age level now - my knowledge is a few years old )

Luke

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

In Czech we play in mixed teams untill u14 and the girls are allowed to stay in u14 about one year longer untill they're 15 years old. The pressure in the scrum is allowed do 150 cm see https://passport.world.rugby/laws-of-the-game/variations-7s-10s-u19-game-on/under-19/ + charging is not allowed.

Luke

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Thank you gentlemen for your thoughts. The result for me is. If the consequences after contact are like the player stay on the ground, stop play for injury in these age categories. If I'm sure about the contact with head/neck area penalty call, if I´m surre about the intention award a yellow card.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Thank you gentlemen for your thoughts. The result for me is. If the consequences after contact are like the player stay on the ground, stop play for injury in these age categories. If I'm sure about the contact with head/neck area penalty call, if I´m surre about the intention award a yellow card.
I'm not sure I'm understanding you...there can be many incidences of head contact which would not be penalised. (accidental). If it's deemed intentional then surely it's a RED.

Luke

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I'm not sure I'm understanding you...there can be many incidences of head contact which would not be penalised. (accidental). If it's deemed intentional then surely it's a RED.
Even if it might look like smb is falling on the ground lands on the oponent while hit him into the head/neck area? Where is the line between the conincidence and the intention?

Last edited:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Even if it might look like smb is falling on the ground lands on the oponent's while hit him into the head/neck area?
This can be accidental.....it's a dynamic physical game.

Where is the line between the conincidence and the intention?
I was just responding to your assertion that if you were sure about the intention then it's a yellow card.
If you deem it intentional then head contact is going to be Red.

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Out of curiosity, is this Head Contact Process still valid, and is it possible to not have a red card from foul play that resulted in head contact?

Luke

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
This can be accidental.....it's a dynamic physical game.
I suppose and believe most of the contacts do not involve intention to hurt the opponent.
I was just responding to your assertion that if you were sure about the intention then it's a yellow card.
If you deem it intentional then head contact is going to be Red.
This could be very interesting resp. difficult to judge correctly. To nail attacker to the ground it might be legal if the tackler manages to avoid to hit the head/neck by any part of his body. If he hits the attackers body first then they hit the ground together and then he hits the head/neck area in the secondary movement as a result of the kinetic energy it still might be a yellow card because of the contact with the head/neck area or red card because of contact high intensity or the intention to hit it.

Last edited: