dummy move base of ruck

Colt

Referees in England
Post Likes
Black, U18 game, camped inside their 5m, ruck formed. I have gone in spotted the ball and am standing about 3m away infield. Black player bends down to collect ball, stands up, as he does so white make a move forward, thinking, like I , that sh will have ball in hand, only he does'nt!, they hesitate, some now marginally offside, sh bends down again, I blow and penalise for dummying. Black are well discipliened move away back to their line,White grab the ball, pass out wide, score.

Black Coach runs on the field, asks why penalty, "dummying says I", "its allowed at the breakdown", unsporting says I, which I still believe it is, but I was not sure at all if it was a permissable part of the game at the breakdown, if it is I have never coached it, not sure I would either. Checked the laws and can find nothing that says you can't, so I guess that means you can?

Woluld welcome any feedback.

The game ended in a draw, was really well tempered, penalty count was pretty even, overall a good enjoyable game

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
You said it was a ruck. YOu can't take any action to make the oppos think the ball is out of a ruck,maul or scrum when it's not; but it's a Free Kick, not a Penalty.
LOTG 16.4 f

Last edited:

Colt

Referees in England
Post Likes
thanks for the reference, I find it really exasparating when something is wrong but I can't find out why.

As it happens the outcome, luckily for me, would have been the same penalty or free kick, as they both march the perpertrators back. The fault was with black not reacting to the situation quick enough.

As a footnote, the sh offender apologised to me a little later in the game, and the coach was so angry he would'nt talk to me.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Black Coach runs on the field,

He should know better, send him off (the pitch).

"dummying says I", "its allowed at the breakdown"

All together now "OH NO IT ISN'T"

16.4 OTHER RUCK OFFENCES
(f) A player must not take any action to make the opposing team think that the ball is out of
the ruck while it is still in the ruck.
Penalty: Free Kick

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Black Coach runs on the field, asks why penalty, "dummying says I",

Wrong answer - should have been "please leave the pitch."