Elliot Daly: Wasps centre banned for verbally abusing referee

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I believe he told the ref to "grow a pair"

and I think the PK was reversed (but don't quote me on that bit!)

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
He said something which the referee didn't feel warranted a card but the RFU feel is worthy of a 3 game ban. Interesting...

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
He said something which the referee didn't feel warranted a card but the RFU feel is worthy of a 3 game ban. Interesting...

Maybe his 'card count stats' fears influenced him taking immediate sanctioning action ?!?!? , after all he is still trying to climb the elite ladder!

Don't worry Tempest dear chap, if one club chairman gets his Wray, then you'd likely get banned for not apologising to the player for causing him to be annoyed.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Don't worry Tempest dear chap, if one club chairman gets his Wray, then you'd likely get banned for not apologising to the player for causing him to be annoyed.

I saw what you did there!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

That referee needs to have a word with Wayne Barnes.

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
WaspsFan: For the record Ian went with a Yellow Card at the time, but the citing officer upgraded it after the event.

The quote was a little more fruity than that TheBFG, but along those lines and was said with added expletives with the player running towards him in an aggressive (frustrated?) manner!

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

Ian Tempest is a newer relatively inexperienced referee. And the Citing Officers and Match Observers are there to give a second opinion and if necessary take action.

Perhaps draw a comparison with a recent match in Bristol and a certain hooker. Maybe if the MO had put in a formal abuse form as a citing (which he did consider) the hooker could have got a Disciplinary ban ?

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Ian Tempest is a newer relatively inexperienced referee. And the Citing Officers and Match Observers are there to give a second opinion and if necessary take action.

Sorry Simon, but are you suggesting that he is an inexperienced referee, or that he's inexperienced at deciding the level of abuse to accept from professional players operating at a higher benchmark of abusing????

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Neither. (The old tea or coffee close ?)

I am suggesting that Ian is a highly experienced referee who through his performances has been promoted to the elite top level of referees in England - one of the top 10.

I used the word relatively to compare his level of Elite experience to say Wayne Barnes. That MAY account for him not hearing fully, or focussing fully, on what Daley said in the noisy and highly pressured environment of a Premiership match. A Citing Officer or Match Observer either at the time or on replay(s) with sound turned up, has the luxury of time and specificity of focus to hear fully what was said by Daly.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Neither. (The old tea or coffee close ?)

I am suggesting that Ian is a highly experienced referee who through his performances has been promoted to the elite top level of referees in England - one of the top 10.

I used the word relatively to compare his level of Elite experience to say Wayne Barnes. That MAY account for him not hearing fully, or focussing fully, on what Daley said in the noisy and highly pressured environment of a Premiership match. A Citing Officer or Match Observer either at the time or on replay(s) with sound turned up, has the luxury of time and specificity of focus to hear fully what was said by Daly.

OK, but my suspicions are obvious enough, without repeating.