ELV sactions

Colt

Referees in England
Post Likes
Unfortunatley I have been away during the various rounds of the Elv meetings.

There seems to have been a monumental amount of discussion as to the rights and wrongs of these changes and the opinions of all about the IRB and the Rfu would run to several volumes.

Well they are here so we might as well get over it and get on with it.

My question is quite simple;

what sanctions are to be imposed if players transgress, do not listen to the ref, "9 stay close, yes I know he's allowed to" WB in a recent game to a defending SH, who decides to go wide anyway, perhaps not hearing the ref, but behind the back foot so no offside. Or standing closer than 2m at a lineout etc.

As they are all, to my mind,, "technical" offences are they all FC options?

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
For the formation issues (lineout positions of receiver and "hooker") they should be FKs.

For the scrum issues, the SH is offside so it would be a penalty.

Having said that, manage the situation. We dont want strings of unnecessary FKs/Pens for these offenses. In the early days and at lower levels, i would advocating blowing the whistle, stopping play and explaining what the issue was and re-start with what you were doing. A bit like the early jump in the lineout and the slightly delayed hooker's throw. Blow whistle, remind both of obligations and then try again.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I appreciate the sentiments of KML but I suspect that many hookers and scrum-halfs will then keep trying it on - if it works fine, if the ref is tighter on the Law you just a get a whistle and a chat from uncle - so nothng to lose.

If you want to stop it, then ping it.

We know the Law, they (should) know the Law.

Managment is fine - and I heartily approve. Talk to them. But if they don't listen then ping 'em.

Colt

Referees in England
Post Likes
Davet,

harsh but fair comments, and I do not disagree with you. I am a bit of a talker on the park as I get more bored than most having to stop start games for silly offences, but I feel you missed my point.

Which was, if sanctions have to be imposed what are they, all FK's or a few PK's? if so where, because I could not work out any PK's for Elv infringements, although KL pointed one out!

I do a lot of Uni and U19 games and the more I can keep the flow going with a bit of chat/guidance the more fun(!) we all have.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
The ELVs that requitre sanctions are

1) Scrum offside lines for SH and Backs. Since these are offside offences then they are PKs.

2) Lineout formation offences, for which the sanction would be a FK

Pulling a maul is now no sanction, whilst collapsing it is still a PK.

Quick throw less than 5 is as before (turnover and option), throw forward is a throw forward.