End of Game - Did I get it Right?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes. Lineout not completed correctly. Depending on who knocks on? I would think this would be the intention of the laws. A side that wants the game to end could ‘accidentally’ knock-on just as they could throw incorrectly.

That would be a deliberate knock on, and a PK so game continues

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Back to the OP, if you had said time was up, or last play or whatever, what did Blue expect you to do when asked to stop for an injury? The restart for a stoppage like that is a scrum and that cannot be awarded after time is up other than as an option for a PK and FK or squint throw at a line out or kick off. So I think you got it right.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Back to the OP, if you had said time was up, or last play or whatever, what did Blue expect you to do when asked to stop for an injury?

I expect Blue saw foul play that they expected/hoped that the ref would penalise. If I was the ref, I would have played on and let the medicos look after it. Stopping play (unless there is a danger of the injured player getting run over) achieves little.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Had a situation a year or two ago.
Youths game, time expired in 1st half (players aware) Red attacking Blue goal line 5m out pick and goes.
Blue player goes to ground after a tackle holding his head. I blow it up for safety and then blow for half time.
Was queried by Red coaches as to why I didn't restart.
Turns out the 'injured' player was actually injured and didn't take any further part in the game.

However I often think about this scenario and wonder should I have restarted the game .. I'm still torn as to which I should do if the situation should arise again!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I expect Blue saw foul play that they expected/hoped that the ref would penalise. If I was the ref, I would have played on and let the medicos look after it. Stopping play (unless there is a danger of the injured player getting run over) achieves little.

I agree but sometimes if all the team in possession stop playing the only sensible thing to do is blow the whistle

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Had a situation a year or two ago.
Youths game, time expired in 1st half (players aware) Red attacking Blue goal line 5m out pick and goes.
Blue player goes to ground after a tackle holding his head. I blow it up for safety and then blow for half time.
Was queried by Red coaches as to why I didn't restart.
Turns out the 'injured' player was actually injured and didn't take any further part in the game.

However I often think about this scenario and wonder should I have restarted the game .. I'm still torn as to which I should do if the situation should arise again!

You did the right thing for me.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Both safety and enjoyment are improved when the referee follows the law.

If you make up law the disadvantaged team will not enjoy it

That's irrelevant, because safety-enjoyment(-equity?)-law is the priority to apply when there's a conflict between two or more of them. Rigid application of the law out of context of safety, enjoyment or in this case equity, is to be discouraged.

So it could be argued that since neither the blue nor the red team have had any chance to end the game as they wish, as the referee has stopped for a player safety incident off the ball and away from the contest, it's equitable to restart in order to allow the teams to decide their fortune through skill rather than blind luck.

It can also be argued "that's what it says in the book". Which argument is found to be correct depends a lot on the level of the game, the temper of the match, and probably the culture of the country it's being played in. But I don't think either is definitively right or wrong.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Did Mr Rolland say that it was occasionally Ok to let common sense trump law when a player used a referee as a shield and the try was awarded? He was of the opinion a scrum would have been the right decision.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Did Mr Rolland say that it was occasionally Ok to let common sense trump law when a player used a referee as a shield and the try was awarded? He was of the opinion a scrum would have been the right decision.

What Law was trumped in that scenario?
The law didn't cover it, so common sense was appropriate

Gracie

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

Dickie, I think you are right about hoping for a penalty, something i noted in the orginal question. Having been prompted to stop play by Blue Captain, the player down was not being attended and he appeared sparko, so going to his aid was my priority. Having not got penalty they thought we should gio back for the KO and a scrum .. I did not!

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Not end of game scenario but I often get the call "head injury sir, head injury sir" and if I'm unsure or haven't seen any obvious incident I have to stop the game to cover my *rse.
Often it is just a tired or old or unfit player who is just a bit shook up or knackerd and opposition are usually attacking.
In these scenarios I insist he goes of for a local HIA as a minimum.
Don't take the p*ss lads!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

I hear ya....and all that.......but is there actually a HIA at your level?

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

There is no such thing as an HIA at our levels.
The only thing you could do is remove him from play for the duration. Recognise; Remove; Recover.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not end of game scenario but I often get the call "head injury sir, head injury sir" and if I'm unsure or haven't seen any obvious incident I have to stop the game to cover my *rse.
Often it is just a tired or old or unfit player who is just a bit shook up or knackerd and opposition are usually attacking.

Had this in a mismatch fitness wise the other week, was 18 - 0 with 15 to go, ended 60-0, losing team were frustrated and had shipped a few in quick succession, then they got turned over in opposition 22, 2 quick passes and winger is off to the other end and another try. As I walk back for the conversion I have two or 3 players screaming at me that there was a head injury, why didn't I stop, try can't stand etc, etc (I've seen and heard nothing so no reason to stop) - I suspect at the time it's a manifestation of their frustration, and advisor post match agrees I was right, you can't stop a game just because someone plays the head injury card - of course if you see something, that's different.

I got the opportunity to watch the incident back, turns out the head injury was one of his team mates coming in to guard and create a ruck, he went off feet and poked his team mate in the eye with his hand trying to support his weight!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I once had a coach shouting all sorts at me because I didn't stop the game for a "serious head injury"

then after about 5 mins on the ground being looked after the injured player finally go back to her feet - coach promptly forgets all about the head injury and says she's fit to continue !

(the physio and I glanced at each other and quickly agreed she was coming off)