End of match

Steve70

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Clock runs down between conversion kick and restart, as the players are wandering back to take the restart. Do we just blow to finish the game? Didn't feel right when I did it, as there was enough time to kick off again, but by the time they'd sauntered back up to the half way line, time was up...

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
This was covered in a WR clarification. If the boot hit the ball before 80 mins is up, then the game should restart, and the restart kick has to be valid. So based on your post you shouldn't have blown up. Did it matter? Was the score close? If not, noone is likely to notice or worry, and if there isn't a stadium clock only you know the exact time.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
If they're strolling back to halfway it indicates that they don't particularly give a stuff and would probably rather be in the bar, so unless there's a good reason to restart, let them get into the bar.

It is also generally a good idea just to have a quick look at the watch at some point after awarding a try. If I see that a try has been scored with 59 seconds remaining in the half, and I know the kicker has one minute to kick and he wants time to run out, I'm not going to steal 45 seconds out of everyone's life by telling him "now, stand around here for a minute doing nothing before you kick so that time can run out". I'm going to let him kick normally and then end the half after the kick.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
At grassroots level, make a decision just before the kick is taken, and either blow up after the kick, or restart. Be confident in what happens. No-one else knows the time accurately enough anyway.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
If they're strolling back to halfway it indicates that they don't particularly give a stuff and would probably rather be in the bar, so unless there's a good reason to restart, let them get into the bar.

It is also generally a good idea just to have a quick look at the watch at some point after awarding a try. If I see that a try has been scored with 59 seconds remaining in the half, and I know the kicker has one minute to kick and he wants time to run out, I'm not going to steal 45 seconds out of everyone's life by telling him "now, stand around here for a minute doing nothing before you kick so that time can run out". I'm going to let him kick normally and then end the half after the kick.

It's 90 seconds from a try

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
There isn't, but we're instructed to put time off after 60 seconds.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Or it's a close game and they are trying to time waste. Sometimes if this is the case I will take time off until they get there, especially with 30+ seconds to go, then time on when they kick off to stop the time wasting.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
What do you do after the kick, then? The other half of that is "restart when the kicker begins to kick, and time off again, if necessary, once the touch judges are in position and nobody's kicked off". Which assumes you're doing a professional match and if not you can use a bit of the old common sense.