End of season roundup

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
So today at work a friend of mine asked me over a coffee how much refereeing I had done this season, the only answer I could give at the time was LOTS! So now that I have had a chance to sit down and work out what I have done, here is my season roundup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday gone was the end of my season and it finished like I started this one, frantic to the end, ending on a double header! U15 & 16 league cup finals back to back and now im in packing mode for an immeninent deployment to Kenya for a training exercise, leaving in 9 days.

Following the end of last season I was promoted to Grade 7 and selected to become a member of the SRU Academy which entailed more specific training and more intense games and access to training and support including a dedicated coach working with 2 other referees.

Summary and highlights SRU/Edinburgh:
As a Ref
LvL 8 - 6
LvL 7 - 14
LvL 6 - 8
LvL 5 - 14
LvL 4 - 4
U15/16 games - 10

As an AR
LvL 7 - 3
LvL 6 - 5
LvL 5 - 2
LvL 3 - 2

In the 68 games i have been involved with i've had to dish out 15 YC and 2 RC and 1 match official abuse form which somehow the bloke managed to get off with(but thats for another post) to people that havent listened.

Highlights this season have included being appointed as 5th official for both Edinburgh Rugby and Glasgow Warriors for a Heineken Cup and a Rabo Pro 12 game, an exchange to the New York referees Society with an 8000 mile roundtrip including the journey to the competition, making my Championship debut and involvement in a further 3 games, refereeing a seniors Regional Final with a To3, AR'ing for Scotland Women v British Army Women, 4th official for the Ladies Cup final at SRU Final's day and being the 4th official in the Womens 6 Nation's match between Scotland and France at Lasswade.

Army:
15 matches refereed for the Army Society including my first Combined Services appointment when I was in charge of Royal Navy(Scotland) v Royal Marines with a To3 and also involvement with the semi finals of the Premiership Cup as AR2 and as 4th official for the Inter Services match between RN Veterans and RAF Veterans

With a pretty eventful season including refereeing most Wednesday's, Saturday's and Sunday's for either the SRU/Edinburgh Society or for the Army I have managed to cover roughly 3500 miles with my longest return trip being Portsmouth at 900 and the closest being a 2 mile return to the barracks next door to my camp.

With the added benefit of the academy setup I have been fortunate to have been watched and reported on 12 times by my coach Tony which has been a god send and has really helped and improved my refereeing and has motivated me intensly and made me think out of the box on all my debriefs and reports and also been fortunate to of been videoed a further 9 times for analyisis, which I also do for other members of the Edinburgh society having taken a video kit from the Society and have also been to all 9 of the meetings which have covered a varied range of topics and have included guest speakers such as Eddie Pollock and Jaco Peyper.

So overall a very busy but very pleasing season with a lot of highlights and things that i have been very fortunate to be involved with, workmates say Im lucky to get the amount of time off I do but I think i work bloody hard to do what I really enjoy! Bring on next season!

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Matty

The Army chain of command will/should support you to achieve success in officiating as much as it would to support players, in many sports. Officials, and coaches, are recognised as indispensable to the conduct of sport. There is a Sport Official of the Year award alongside the Sportsman/woman of the Year (as do the RN and RAF, I believe) - you are not there yet, there are numbers of national/international officials in a range of other sports. That is not to say that there may be career implications, but that is much easier to balance when play is part of work! It appears that Kenya has come at the right time to suit both sides of life, so you get to have your cake and eat it. Excellent. Onward and upward!