England Rugby Final League Positions 2019/20

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
All levels - apart from Premierhsip and Championship - have now been setted.

Seems like a form of Duckworth/Lewis method was used. Some interesting outcomes, but by and large fair.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
it was nowhere near as complex as DLS (BTW RIP Dr. Anthony Lewis MBE)

League points per game is the normal method used to decide best playing record when on league is missing a side and you need to decide which team gets to play at home in the play off.

However, as some sides had more home games to play than others, they actually took the average league points gained at home and awarded that for any remaining home games and did the same for any remaining away games.

I am no sure if this actually made any difference over simple PPG - I know it didn't in the national leagues, I just have not looked below that.

But it does seem to be about the best possible solution.

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
A lot fairer than just abandoning the season as has been the case in Scotland. The Scottish leagues were more complete than those in England and some teams had even been awarded trophies as having won their leagues with games to spare. Those titles have now been wiped.
Lazy and gutless position from the SRU, not to mention SRU executives “deferring” 30% of pay for 3 months rather than taking a “cut in pay” for a similar period as has been the case in RFU WRU and IRFU.....but hey ho what can you do?

https://www.theoffsideline.com/scottish-rugby-board-leadership/

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I think we are still waiting to see which 2nd XVs join the leagues?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I do not see why we do not permit second XVs into the higher leagues. Subject of course to suitable penalties if teams do not complete matches so clubs only enter teams if they know they will have sufficient players.

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
A lot fairer than just abandoning the season as has been the case in Scotland. The Scottish leagues were more complete than those in England and some teams had even been awarded trophies as having won their leagues with games to spare. Those titles have now been wiped.
Lazy and gutless position from the SRU, not to mention SRU executives “deferring” 30% of pay for 3 months rather than taking a “cut in pay” for a similar period as has been the case in RFU WRU and IRFU.....but hey ho what can you do?

https://www.theoffsideline.com/scottish-rugby-board-leadership/

It is only right and proper that I provide an update to my posting from last week:

The SRU Chief Executive has just announced that he has volunteered to cut his salary by 30% and the other Executive Directors will take a 25% pay cut until at least 1st September. Furthermore, they have volunteered to waive annual bonus entitlements for FY 2019/20.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Multiple teams 1stXV 2ndXV etc already compete successfully in the north west intermediate leagues but with the Lancashire clubs still going their own way, and lalking of setting up their own second XV competitions, the structure in the north west of England is disjointed to say the least. With lower tier Cumbria Cheshire and Isle of man teams becoming increasingly isolated.