European Rugby Champions Cup : Munster v Saracens

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Anybody feel in could/should have been red, as it was certainly dangerous play.
The difficulty is that elite rugby has connived in this practice. Why is it not ALWAYS illegal to use a judo technique to take a man to ground when he doesn't have the ball? Having allowed what is always illegal, the game is hypocritical if it starts red carding players for doing it.

I suspect that the YC decision arose (remember, it was a TMO referral, so well viewed in retrospect) because Gill had no way of knowing his target was also being lifted (or at least supported as a fulcrum) by his team mate. But could easily have been red.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The difficulty is that elite rugby has connived in this practice. Why is it not ALWAYS illegal to use a judo technique to take a man to ground when he doesn't have the ball? Having allowed what is always illegal, the game is hypocritical if it starts red carding players for doing it.

I suspect that the YC decision arose (remember, it was a TMO referral, so well viewed in retrospect) because Gill had no way of knowing his target was also being lifted (or at least supported as a fulcrum) by his team mate. But could easily have been red.

I can't work out whether there was anything remotely legal about either the intention or the execution. He's not even got the excuse that he's clearing the victim out of the ruck - he dropped him right in the middle of it. It's irrelevant whether he knew that his team-mate was acting similarly illegally the other side of the victim. RC for Gill - and a YC for his accomplice.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Red without a doubt for me.