[Ruck] Exactly when is a player offside at a ruck.

Chris Hudson

Post Likes
Clearly, a player completely behind the rear foot is onside, and someone infront of the rear foot is offside, but at which point does a player change from onside to offside.

Is it all of the player that has to be behind the rear foot, or is it only the feet.

For example a player in the guard position (3 point stance) has both feet behind the line and his hand is touching the floor infront of the line, then is that player offside or onside? Is a player offside if their head is infant of the line? Or should any player that is that close be regarded as offside if it is not 100% clear cut that they are onside?

I could not find any clear definition of the technicalities of this.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Where offside is a line (real or imaginary) on the ground, I have always regarded the foremost part of the player in contact with the ground as being where that player is. This is usually, but not always the player's feet.

For example...

if a player is standing with both feet on or behind the offside line, then he is onside

if a player is standing with either or both feet ahead of the offside line, then he is offside

if a player is in a crouched (sprinter starting blocks) position with both feet on or behind the offside line, but his hand or hands on the ground ahead if the offside line, the he is offside

(NOTE: Not everyone agrees with that last one)

Chris Hudson

Post Likes
Thanks, that was my interpretation. Would be nice for there to be a definition of this within the laws, but they appear to be more generic than that.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'd agree with Ian but its clear from various elite level matches that it is not universally applied in that manner.

didds

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Where offside is a line (real or imaginary) on the ground, I have always regarded the foremost part of the player in contact with the ground as being where that player is. This is usually, but not always the player's feet.

For example ... if a player is in a crouched (sprinter starting blocks) position with both feet on or behind the offside line, but his hand or hands on the ground ahead if the offside line, then he is offside. (NOTE: Not everyone agrees with that last one)
I'm not so sure gents; I'm obviously one of the ones who don't agree.

From the Definitions

Beyond, behind or in front of a position: Means with both feet, except where the context makes that inappropriate.

And I'm sure I've been told by someone in authority that it's the feet that count and not the hands.

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm not so sure gents; I'm obviously one of the ones who don't agree.

From the Definitions

Beyond, behind or in front of a position: Means with both feet, except where the context makes that inappropriate.

And I'm sure I've been told by someone in authority that it's the feet that count and not the hands.

As the definitions say, contest may make it inappropriate. The case of a player having hands on the grass to get a faster start might be so.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
As the definitions say, contest may make it inappropriate. The case of a player having hands on the grass to get a faster start might be so.
"Context" not "contest" Mr Que.

I took that to mean that some lines eg touch lines or DBLs for example, just one foot over the line would ne enough to put you over the line.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I took that to mean that some lines eg touch lines or DBLs for example, just one foot over the line would ne enough to put you over the line.

No.

In those cases, one foot ON the line puts you over.

However, in the case of a 5m scrum, a line-out closer than 10m to the goal line, or a ruck or maul where the hindmost defender is in-goal, the offside line IS the goal-line. One foot on the goal-line might put you in-goal but it does not make you onside.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
It's not the fact whether it's "on" or "over" that's important though Ian.

The key thing (to me at least) is that the Definitions mention "both feet". No mention of putting a hand on the ground but in front of the line for balance.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
The key thing (to me at least) is that the Definitions mention "both feet". No mention of putting a hand on the ground but in front of the line for balance.

If a player is on hand(s) and feet, they are not on their feet.

"Players are on their feet if no other part of their body is supported by the ground or players on the ground." (this from 15.6)

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
It's not the fact whether it's "on" or "over" that's important though Ian.

From the Definitions

THe point (context) of standing with both feet behind the offside line is that they can't take part in the game from that position. If there hands can legally be 5 or 6 feet futher forward that makes a mokery of give the other side space. So if an player is supporting himdelf in a sprinter stance with 80 to 90% (or more)of his body in front of his feet. context says for me that that is not right. I agree with Ian.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Update from last nights monthly Refs meeting.

At a ruck or maul. Both hands and both feet should be behind the hindmost foot. Ie a player isn't allowed to have both feet behind the line, but supporting his weight on his hands in front of the hindmost foot.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Update from last nights monthly Refs meeting.

At a ruck or maul. Both hands and both feet should be behind the hindmost foot. Ie a player isn't allowed to have both feet behind the line, but supporting his weight on his hands in front of the hindmost foot.
Good.