First Aid whilst reffing

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Anyone see Mark Lawrence in the Maori v Ireland match? One of the players had a contact lens come out, and was unable to get it back in. Mark Lawrence (a qualified optician) put it back in for him.
Don't mean to be funny, but do you honestly need to be a qualified optician to put a contact lense in? I can now usually put mine in at the first attempt, and I'm pretty sure that if pressed and there was nobody else who could do it, I could put somebody elses in.

I came close to having to put a mates in once one a motorbike trip. Luckily he eventually managed to get both in himself, but I was on standby. :D

Last edited:

gillburt

Referees in England
Post Likes
I did a basic first aid for sport coaches in the last 12 months.

We got taught as a priority list:
DRS ABC BBB

"D"anger
"R"esponse
"S"end someone for help

"A"irways (make sure they are not obstructed)
"B"reathing (use the back of your hand to check, have a listen too and also a quick shifty at their chest to see if it is rising/falling)
"C"irculation (worth a check just in case - afterall, breaking someones rib cage with CPR is significant, so no harm in a pulse check first, even if highly unlikely to find one reliably)

The "BBB" bit then deals with

Burns
Bleeding
Broken Bones

(not sure exactly what order the Bs go in, but I take the view that by this stage the immediate risk to life is diminished significantly compared to not breathing)

In the UK you won't get successfully sued for administering first aid.

As a ref/coach, always defer to the appointed physio/medic unless you feel morally obliged (always a personal decision) to get involved.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
It always used to be 4Bs

Breathing,
Bleeding,
Breaks and
Burns

In that order of priority.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member