First Assessment: Third Adult Game

kaypeegee

Referees in England
Post Likes
Did my ELRA 1/2 a while ago. Prior to that had done Foundation or whatever it was called.
Was happy sticking to Club Youth games. Decided to give Adult games ago to complete ELRA3 .
Game 1: Pre-season, hung-over students. 14 a side friendly. Great fun
Game 2: The car-crash the end all car-crashes. 36 people (inc subs) cheating! Nearly gave up.
CRefC encouraged me back. Did some more Youth (U13s/U14s/U15s) then had another go at Adults.

Game 3
Name KPG
Level 13+1
Home Team BLUE 2’s 17 pts v Away Team WHITE 2’s 7 pts
Game level: 12
Brief description of the Match and its challenge for the Referee: The conditions were right for a fast, open match and KPGs fitness was up to this challenge; he did advise me at debrief that he had been having trouble with a strained Achilles but, looking back on the match, I would not have been aware that this was the case. KPG was within a few metres of each of the four tries that were scored.
KPGs control of the match was very good. He awarded a total of 18 penalties (2, 3, 7, 6 by quarter) and 2 free kicks. Of the penalties, 10 were awarded at the tackle or post tackle area. The match was largely free of fisticuffs.
KPG was challenged by the WHITE captain early in the second half concerning an advantage that he thought was was not an advantage and should have been called back earlier. KPG responded that there was no sense in whistling immediately when it was possible that his team may have gained an advantage. This was accepted by the captain.
At 2/31 KPG awarded a penalty try to BLUE after a WHITE defender impeded a BLUE attacker in the in-goal following a charge down.

What were the Referee's strengths?1) Positioning at the ruck and maul: For a new referee, KPGs positioning at these elements was very good. He quickly moved into the referee’s channel ahead of the attacker’s back feet and marshalled the defenders to stay behind the offside line using verbal and signalling communication;
2) Control of the setting of the scrum: KPGs calls for the setting of the scrum were clear, concise and evenly-paced throughout the match. The scrums were generally straight, square and stationary before the ball was thrown in. There was a challenging total of 30 scrums during the match including one turnover and three re sets; there were no collapses and no pop ups. This was an impressive refereeing performance;
3) Advantage: KPG has a good sense of advantage and he communicated this to the players with voice and signals; ‘advantage over’ was also clearly called.

Please outline up to three areas for development and offer solutions:
1) Positioning at the lineout: KPGs favoured position was at the front of the lineout near to the thrower-in. I would advise that it is prudent to vary the positioning around the lineout so that the players are kept guessing about which position the referee will move to. A good ‘default’ position would be within the 5 metre area on the throwing in side of the lineout. We discussed this at de brief and I drew a sketch of this position showing that it was advantageous in two respects: i) it allows a clear view, at an angle through the lineout, of any illegalities by the participants and ii) it enables the referee to communicate with the defending No 10 over the lineout using an ‘arm down’ signal to indicate completion of the lineout if the ball is taken into a maul or a ruck. (

2) Signalling of a penalty: KPGs signalling of a penalty award could be sharper. I would advise that KPG quickly demonstrates, with a fully upstretched arm, the award of a penalty together with the appropriate script and secondary signal. The importance of a swift, clear penalty award signal is to inform the players so that they know what they need to do next; for example, both fullbacks, who may not be able to hear the referee clearly, know, from his swift penalty signal, where they must be for the next phase of play, depending on whether their tem is the offender or not. A swift, clear signal will also assist in keeping the touchline informed of the referee’s penalty decisions.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Looks like a good report with two easy things to fix.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Good report, but I am curious that you awarded 5 penalties in the first half and 13 in the second without the assessor needing to comment. What happened?