First Assessment this season...

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
Overall pretty pleased with it:

Home team 16-24 away team (level 10)

Description of the Match and its challenge for the referee

The first 30 mins saw four outbreaks of “handbagging” and some general ill discipline being displayed by both teams, but generally by the home side. The captains were warned about this lack of discipline.
On 18th min. one of the visitors was yellow carded (after being warned) of persistently killing the ball.
On the 28th min.a home side player was issued with a yellow card for foul play.
On the 30th min two of the three quarters, after a tackle and the ball had moved away, decide to fight each other. Unfortunately, this incident, was after the ball had been moved out, and was behind Mike’s back. There was a breakdown in play and Mike then noticed the two players fighting.
Mike stopped play, read the riot act to the captains, and allowed them 1 min.to inform their players of his views, and to settle their players down. As Mike did not see the start of the incident, he had to restart the match at the last breakdown in play. Fortunately, this overall warning solved the problem and the remainder of the match was clear of incidents until the 25rd min of the second half when a Saracens’ player, who was blatantly off-side, played the ball the ball from a knock-on. He was penalised for playing the ball from an off-side position, he then verbally abused the referee with foul language and was correctly issued with a red card.
After the general warning, some reasonable rugby was eventually played and good tries were scored from some positive play.
The home side generally dominated all areas of play but due to tight defence or taking the incorrect decisions failed to score any more points.
Due to the competiveness of play and the period of ill discipline the match was a good challenge for Mike in that he was able to control it and eventually allow a game of rugby to be played.

Please outline up to three areas for improvement (using Key Components) and OFFER SOLUTIONS

Scrum –
Mike set the 5M line for the three quarters, but once the scrum began he never checked the infringing of their offside line (which they frequently crossed). It is important to keep them onside as it reduces the attacking area of their opponents, especially when the scrum is close to the goal line.
I did appreciate the scrum required some extra attention!

Rucks and mauls –
Mike tended to stand rather flat and too close, which meant he was in the way of some of the attacking moves around the phase of play.
It was suggested, he should stand slightly deeper and another 1M further back, which would keep him away from any attacking players and would improve his overall vision.

Please list up to three of the referee’s strengths in this match

Management –
Considering the initial ill discipline, Mike displayed a relaxed and positive control of the match that prevented further outbreaks of foul play, which allowed for some phases of reasonable rugby to be played. His control, was achieved by his positive communications and the application of the correct sanctions for persistent infringements and foul play. His fitness allowed him to be “on the ball” at all times.
Lesser control would have possibly seen little rugby but further out breaks of foul play.

Rucks and mauls –
Mike had an effective control of these phases of play that allowed for fair competition of the ball and the opportunity for continuity in play. This control was attained by quickly arriving to the breakdown and giving clear advice as to what was required and applying the correct sanctions for infringements.

Advantage –

Good advantage was played and from one phase of play, the home side scored as good drop goal.

POTENTIAL (Please tick the appropriate box.)
This referee is capable of refereeing at the next level of game YES
This referee is correctly graded at this level YES/NO *

This referee would be more comfortable at a lower level game NO

==============

My comments:

1) I should have been aware after the first few handbags that this wasn't a game for the fainthearted, and spent a bit longer at each tackle/maul AFTER to make sure no one was taking cheap-shots. This led to the fracas on the half hour mark, which is hindsight I could have maybe awarded. After that all was well, helped by the fact I was probably a bit sharper.

2) I must admit I just zapped the off-sides at scrum time. No excuses.

3) Ruck positioning is a problem for me, not helped that when I get into the chariot position the assessor says I shouldn't use it, and when I don't he says I should. :chin: OK that's tongue in cheek. My problems IMO stem from the fact I get too close and then too stationary.

4) I was happy with my fitness, this is the first game I've done for a while following injury and winter.

5) I was happy with overall control of a tough game which I never let get out of hand (I never personally felt that I'd lost control, and the assessor agreed with me).

All advice/comments/praise/criticism welcome.

With regards to the RC, I've written a sending-off form, should I also do an abuse one?

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
No, you should have covered this in your red card report. :chin: It is either the primary:rc: reason for the sending off or it is additional information:norc: for the enlightenment of the Disciplinary Committee. Paint the whole picture with as few words as possible.:cool:

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
OK thanks. Very much a primary reason. The fact that he was a good half yard off-side didn't bother me per se (beyond that I had to stretch out my left hand and blow the whistle). The fact that he called me an effing c did...

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
That should be Effing C... youngsters and their grammar :nono:

I always like the fact that you should quote the abuse verbatim; not yet been to a hearing where somebody has to read it all out in the cold light of day.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Nice report Mike, glad to see the zummerzet boys putting in a good performance!

Re the ruck positioning, if you get 5 mins, look up the ITV4 player thingy and have a look at David Rose reffin the Sarries v Quins game (shocking match) text book positioning by David Rose. The other good thing is that the ref link was switched on so you can hear him and his AR's (well you could on TV last night). Watch how he gets in close to the ruck, spots the ball and then moves away, text book:clap:

re using the "chariot" know what you mean, you just can't win!:chin:

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
There's a great little phrase/ditty about what The BFG eludes to regarding breakdown/ruck positioning, and it goes like this:

"Get in, get out, stop fu**ing about... ya ho, ya ho, ya ho...."

Works for me, but then do remember not to sing out loud during a game!

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Do we have a link to this being performed -either on stage or pitch will do. :D