First L9 Assessment

taff426

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Description of the Match: A cool, damp evening, no wind. Scrums were about even, although props rarely bound correctly immediately after engagement. Green put in some good driving mauls, which rarely ended effectively. Lineout drills were simple; Green much the better. Individual handling skills in the backs on both sides were good, and backs ran strongly. The breakdowns were a nightmare throughout, as players tried to go too far, defenders competed lost ball, and players of both sides were not clear as to their legal actions. Neither side played to any discernable pattern, and neither coaches nor captains seemed to be able to direct play. 2 YCs against each side, for silly foul play or repeated offences at the breakdown. Penalties against by quarter; 6/5, 2/4, 2/4, 5/6. HT score 5-5. A difficult match to referee; this was his own regiment. The penalty count remained high throughout, YCs had little effect.
Challenge for the Referee:
( 1 Easy – 5 Difficult)

Analysis Elements
Scrum Your engagement procedure was clear and measured. Scrums were safe; only one collapse. In the second half some scrums were not stable and square when the ball was thrown in. The Red loose head rarely bound correctly; in one case you penalised Green for not binding, when neither prop bound correctly. The Red scrum half always put the ball in to his tight, not loose, head. The side first chosen, 20.5, refers to the scrum awarded, not to the whole game. They can change from scrum to scrum. You also stopped a scrum at 45° wheel, not 90°.
Lineout you kept a good gap throughout, and made sure that the ball was thrown in straight. You kept participants and non-participants onside.
Tackle, Post Tackle and Ruck You got there early, to get a good view of the first contact area. You correctly penalised the first offence, and made sure that the primary onus was on the tackler and tackled players to make the ball available. You penalised players who went off their feet and who did not join correctly, and kept participants and non-participants onside.
Maul You got in an early call of maul, made sure that players joined correctly, and that the maul was not collapsed. You kept participants and non-participants onside.
Positioning Although you did get in the way of some unconventional movements, your positioning at the breakdown was effective. I do suggest that when a lineout is within 5-10m of the goal line, you always go goal side, unless you have reliable TJs. I also suggest that, when a maul is headed for the goal line, if the ball is at the back, stay field side, if the ball is in the middle go goal side, so that the ball is coming towards you.
Advantage You always indicated early with voice and signal, so the players knew that an offence had been seen. You played advantage the appropriate length of time for field position and offence. However, I do suggest that, when players are growing tired at the end of the game, and offences are becoming frequent, that you do blow up quicker.
Open Play You were always up with play, and got the dangerous tackles, handling errors and forward passes. You kept players onside at kicks ahead. You made sure that quick penalties were taken correctly. If a quick FK is obstructed, the award is a FK, not a penalty, 10m up (21.8(h).
Communication Whistle and signals were clear and confident. I do suggest that, when players are not responding to preventive calls during play, you use down time, manufactured if necessary, to explain to players, who may be inexperienced, exactly what is required of them.
Management While you quickly picked up the pattern of offences at scrum and breakdown, you went very quickly to punitive mode. Unfortunately, the same offences were penalised throughout the match. There is a very strong case under these circumstances that you should use down time to establish more empathy with the players, and get them to do things properly. You should be able to do this without compromising either standards or safety. At this level, you may have to almost coach players to execute correct technique. Nonetheless, you kept the game on an even keel, and maintained consistent standards to the end, and never flagged and only once got flustered. Critical decisions on the goal line were given calmly and with time to spare.
Referee’s Development Notes

Date: 24 FEB 11
MATCH MANAGEMENT & POTENTIAL: Please tick the appropriate box.
The referee demonstrated a level of management that indicates a capability of refereeing at the next level of game.

The referee coped well with this game, but would benefit from more experience at this level.

The referee would benefit from more experience at a lower level of game.

What do you think guys?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Reads as though you are more used to youth games, and that you need a few more at this level to consolidate skills before moving on and up - all round not too bad. The comments about using downtime to get p;ayers to understand the issues is important as a management tool.

Binding at the scrumm needs to be watched.

Te best bit of the report relates to egtii g quickly to the breakdown establish what is happening and penalising the 1st offence - very well done there.

taff426

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Davet, many thanks. I have been doing a fair few youth matches, this was just a slip of the tounge unfortunatly :sad:. The binding issue which ws mentioned, I penalised the red TH for holding the wrist of the LH which was preventing him getting a bind. However, another point for me to learn from. Actually thought I performed a lot worse than I actually did by the sound of it, so not too displeased with the report. :)