Football - Red Card For Diving!!

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2oJtMSzM-0

Asian Cup quarter final - Iran v Iraq.
Player gets a small tap and feigns injury so the referee gives him a yellow card. The referee forgot he had already gave the same player a YC earlier, and once alerted by players, sends him for an early shower.

I doubt he would have given him the 2nd YC if he knew it would be his second, but I'm glad he did. It's the only way to get simulation out of the game.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Who the hell are those stupid commentators? A yellow card offence is a yellow card offence. What the player has done before is of no consequence whatsoever and should not affect the referee's decision making.

Diving and feigning injury are the acts of gutless cowards. That and the complete lack of respect for the referees are the main reasons why I despise soccer, and why I don't bother watching.

In our game, we need to deal ruthlessly with any players who try this on. Severe punishments in the form of lengthy suspensions and no mitigation for previous good behaviour are the only ways we can block this behaviour from getting a foothold in our game, and turning it into a joke like soccer.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Recall again Hugets recent shameful acting, then consider the '1/3rd' of the deterent wrist slap that he received (applicable in only some of his fixtures) and the echoing silence(?) of his club ...:shrug:

On this subject pro Rugby has yet to cover itself in glory, but then why should it? ..feigning injury is ultimate 'showbiz' inside WWF (sarc !! )

At least the football guys had the backbone to give a two match ban to Kyle Lafferty and his club also fined him (, although it should have been doubled for his continued feigning via his hand-nose check..)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B3iUDg6JEo0

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Diving and feigning injury are the acts of gutless cowards. That and the complete lack of respect for the referees are the main reasons why I despise soccer, and why I don't bother watching. In our game, we need to deal ruthlessly with any players who try this on.
:noyc: or :norc:
Personally, I'm leaning towards a :noyc:

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It does happen from time to time in round ball. I was at the New Zealand v Brazil game at St-James' during the Olympics. A Brazilian on a yellow card took a dive, and ref showed no hesitation. He flashed the yellow, then the red and that was that. It's a shame it doesn't happen more often.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Diving and feigning injury are the acts of gutless cowards. That and the complete lack of respect for the referees are the main reasons why I despise soccer, and why I don't bother watching.

Agree with this 100%.
I was just about to start another thread to have a whinge about soccer players diving and faking injuries when I saw this thread and your post Ian.
Just sat down and thought I'd watch a few minutes of Ghana v Algeria. After 5 minutes had to give it away. Algeria player gets the slightest of taps and goes down like he's been shot, laying on the ground holding his head. Ref goes over and when the Algerian sees that he's not getting rewarded for his acting skills, forgets that he is mortally wounded and gives the ref the old puppy dog eyes. Nothing coming from the ref so the player gets up and carries on as if nothing had happened. Maybe he should have kept holding his face to give the act some credibility or maybe he should have just HARDENED THE F#%@ UP!!!

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
At least the football guys had the backbone to give a two match ban to Kyle Lafferty and his club also fined him (, although it should have been doubled for his continued feigning via his hand-nose check..)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B3iUDg6JEo0

Some intelligent comments under that video.
Got a laugh from this one though. Bit extreme I know but would probably stop such disgraceful behaviour in its tracks.

Thebobsmccoll4 months ago

There should be a rule where if you get caught diving the opposition is allowed to stamp on that players face.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
http://video.news.com.au/v/284291/Referee-Ben-Williams-embarrassing-decision

Here is a panel of "experts" explaining why the referee got it wrong. Firstly, it shouldn't be a booking. Secondly, even if it was a booking, the referee should have let him off with just a warning because he was already on a booking. Thirdly, the referee was biased due to a previous incident in a different game.

Just confirms that I am in the right game.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Maybe he should have kept holding his face to give the act some credibility or maybe he should have just HARDENED THE F#%@ UP!!!

See Rule #5.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am emotionally hurt that my eyes had to endure that much football to see the clip.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
http://video.news.com.au/v/284291/Referee-Ben-Williams-embarrassing-decision

Here is a panel of "experts" explaining why the referee got it wrong. Firstly, it shouldn't be a booking. Secondly, even if it was a booking, the referee should have let him off with just a warning because he was already on a booking. Thirdly, the referee was biased due to a previous incident in a different game.

Just confirms that I am in the right game.

What would you expect from 'experts' that are ex-players? They themselves took years to master the art of diving and face clutching to con the referee for a cheap penalty. They're not in the habit now to lambast the players for doing what they used to do! Other than that...what a bunch of tools. They all need to give themselves an uppercut!

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
What would you expect from 'experts' that are ex-players? They themselves took years to master the art of diving and face clutching to con the referee for a cheap penalty. They're not in the habit now to lambast the players for doing what they used to do! Other than that...what a bunch of tools. They all need to give themselves an uppercut!
Funny how the comments in that football video were virtually word for word the same as the comments directed at Allain Rolland when he sent off Warburton in the Semi Final of the RWC against France ie "he's killed the game" etc etc

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Funny how the comments in that football video were virtually word for word the same as the comments directed at Allain Rolland when he sent off Warburton in the Semi Final of the RWC against France ie "he's killed the game" etc etc

Yes, just like that incident they all came from the fans of the losing side (or numpty 'experts' that haven't ever refereed and wouldn't know what to do if they were in the centre!) :Looser:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Yes, just like that incident they all came from the fans of the losing side (or numpty 'experts' that haven't ever refereed and wouldn't know what to do if they were in the centre!) :Looser:

Main offender was the coke snorting ex-goalkeeper who ate his way out of his football contract. Now he is an expert.