Forty days and forty nights

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
NZ chocolate how can that be tough to give up? - waxy and rubbish stuff (having said that a peanut slab is always welcome)

Now you have it!. Whittakers is REAL New Zealand Chocolate Dark Ghana is my favorite, but I'm rather partial to a Hazelnut Slab as well)

That other rubbish you call "NZ chocolate" isn't NZ at all....

Nestle (Swiss, and full of "numbers" and Palm Kernel Oil)
Cadbury's (English and even worse that Nestle)
Hersheys (American, and undoubtedly the worst "global brand" chocolate on the market anywhere in the western

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Dickie, you do know that you're being a great big bag of penises, right?

I'm glad ChickRef is Back! Dickie is indeed one giant bag o' dicks. But he's our bag o' dicks.

I was on a challenge with other members as part of teams for the last 6 weeks. There were some HUGE gains (one fella lost 8" off his waist, and is now off his BP meds). Even fatties like me went from 9.3mm to 7.2mm thickness of BF at a localised point on my waist, though frankly that wasnt the point. I was never going to be the "heavy hitter" on the team.

In any case, if it's a team-driven approach, I was less likely to fall off the wagon and eat cake, and it seems everyone was in the same boat. Nobody wants to be "that guy" at the end! (the measurements weren't weight based; simply fat layer measurements, so some of us could still train hard).

I gave up social networking for Lent, basically b/c I was taking up a lot of time creeping and reading news feeds again and again.

Best of luck with it!

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I gave up social networking for Lent, basically b/c I was taking up a lot of time creeping and reading news feeds again and again.

Best of luck with it!

There is no chance I would've been able to do that.

Also wouldn't this place count as a 'social network'?

I have decided to give up soft drinks and beer.

Constantine

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Managed not to eat chocolate, despite being drunk. Also despite cramps and PMS from hell (I cried at a telly commercial, someone shoot me). I am pleased. But I do want some lollies at the cricket... Oh well.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Right song, wrong Wonka

In the category of "Information I Really Really Really Wish I Didn't Know" is the little factoid about how Roald Dahl really wanted Spike Milligan to play Willy Wonka, and when they cast someone else it set off a whole chain of events that finished with him utterly hating the finished movie. This is also why there was never a movie based on Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.

And now I hate that I know that, because whenever I'm reminded of that movie I can't help but think how transcendentally wonderful it could have been with Spike Milligan bouncing off the walls.

Constantine

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Today was going pretty well until, after the NZ vs SA cricket match a drunken asshole smacked me in the back of the head, nicked my hat, and called me a faggot. I regularly get taken for a 14 year old boy, but this is the first time I've faced out-and-out homophobia. And trust me, once I'd gotten over the urge to punch the ****er, there was the other urge to climb into a tub of chocolate ice-cream until the world stops being so shit. But I beat it. And I'm pleased with that.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
is faggot solely used as a homophobic insult in NZ? the reason i ask is that calling someone or something gay (as an insult) over here (99% of which happens in school playgrounds) is not normally intended as a comment on their sexuality.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
XaNJt.jpg

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I've given up bread for lent, I was eating too many sandwiches. Tortilla wraps only for me until Easter

Constantine

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Punch him anyway. I'll hold your coat.

Prison Orange isn't my colour...

And Dave, while people may call something "gay" as a ridiculous and stupid euphemism for 'bad', I'm pretty sure that faggot is still just used to harass gay people.

Constantine

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Made it through my first day of grad school, with the attendant free lollies from the student association. I instead made myself popular with my new classmates by giving them away. Ref's association AGM this evening... i'm trying to keep my head down and my mouth shut.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Let's reclaim the word, and revert to it's real meaning.

I enjoy being in a gay environment, all the colour, ribbons and bunting maybe, and a happy atmosphere.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Let's reclaim the word, and revert to it's real meaning.

I enjoy being in a gay environment, all the colour, ribbons and bunting maybe, and a happy atmosphere.

and I enjoy a bundle of twigs as much as the next chap

Constantine

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So, grad school has started and my life is super busy and exhausting... And I've broken my sweet and chocolate addiction. I honestly don't even waver at the counter at the canteen. It feels pretty good, I must say. Also I'm saving money... Which is good cos I've had my cellphone and camera nicked out of my backpack. SO. NOT. IMPRESSED. Rar... Though again, I did manage to not hide in a bucket of icecream until the world stops being so crap. So go me.

Davet

Post Likes
Constantine - good to hear you're going well on beating the sugar / choclate addiction. 'tain't easy to beat, and kudos to you for getting on top. Getting stuff nicked is bad news, sorry to hear it, but hey, it didn't crack you up and you are getting on with the important stuff. So kudos again.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just out of interest, how many Kudos do you get to the £ these days?

Davet

Post Likes
I always regard Kudos as a way of avoiding paying people - just like many emploers -

"well done all of you - your hard work and dedication has saved the company!"

"can we have some more money please?"

"No."