Fra-Ita: Obstruction question

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=260&v=bKjKEPZCr94

Blue 12 (in the scrumcap) overruns and is between white 22 and blue 15 (BC) as blue 15 passes. Would you call obstruction, play on because of materiality, something else?

I find this one of the hardest calls to spot and make in my own matches, especially in the speed and complexity of a backline break. Any good tips, anyone?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not clear and obvious obstruction for me, I don't believe he stopped a tackle being made.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Screenshot.jpg

Not quite sure how he's not preventing a tackle here. Blue 22 is clear close enough to make a tackle. There's less obvious obstructions been called when the defenders have been 5m+ away.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
A still picture tells nothing.

Watch it at full speed and the white player is wrong footed and off balance, he wouldn't have made the tackle.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Blue 12 also never in a position to legally receive the ball!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
that's obstruction for mine.

Would I have seen it in real time? Probably not.

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I noticed that in the match and was surprised the TMO didn't want a look at it... looking back now I think that play-on was the right call, I don't think he prevented a tackle that white 22 would have been able to make.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
He's within a meter. I've seen tackle tackles completed from there. He's not wrong footed he's in the process of changing his footing to make the tackle. I think he may well have been able to latch on then complete the tackle. The point is that he not had the opportunity to do this, due to obstruction of blue 12. If that's not obstruction then we'd have players running like that all the time like in the NFL.