Free kick drop goal scenario

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hey,

So I know you can't score a drop goal after a free kick (even if you choose a scrum or lineout option) until the ball becomes dead once more. But let's say a team doesn't know this or forgets they're playing from a free kick and goes through multiple phases of play, and then goes for the drop(assume it's successful).

My question is what's the correct restart? Should I treat it as just a normal kick that went dead and therefore resume with either the drop out or scrum from the place the ball was kicked? Or should it be treated like a missed drop goal and I award the drop out even though they aren't permitted to score in this situation?

Thanks

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hey,

So I know you can't score a drop goal after a free kick (even if you choose a scrum or lineout option) until the ball becomes dead once more.

No, the ball does not have to become dead. It only has to be touched by an opponent or a tackle to have taken place

[LAWS]Law 21.6 (b) The team awarded a free kick cannot score a dropped goal until after the ball next becomes
dead, or until after an opponent has played or touched it, or has tackled the ball carrier. This
restriction applies also to a scrum taken instead of a free kick.[/LAWS]

But let's say a team doesn't know this or forgets they're playing from a free kick and goes through multiple phases of play, and then goes for the drop(assume it's successful).

My question is what's the correct restart? Should I treat it as just a normal kick that went dead and therefore resume with either the drop out or scrum from the place the ball was kicked? Or should it be treated like a missed drop goal and I award the drop out even though they aren't permitted to score in this situation?

Thanks

Treat it as a normal kick. If the ball goes dead in goal without being touched, options to the opposing team are a 22DO or scrum back from the place of the kick, and their feed. If its grounded in goal by defending team, 22DO, otherwise play on.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Agree with Ian. Treat it as a normal kick but with some verbal call as the kick leaves the boot.