[Law] Front Row Substitutions

yuuuppp

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]Hello,[/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]I have got a doubt about the front row substitutions, and I cannot find an agreement when I talk to other referees. [/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]It is said in the laws that "A team can substitute up to two front row players (subject to Law 3.5 (f) and (g) when it may be three) and up to five other players" (3.4.d). [/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]If numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 8 and 16 are marked as possible front row players, and that team wants to make a substitution in which: number 19 goes in, he will play 8, so number 8 starts playing in the front row and number 1 goes out. The substitution would be: 19 in/1 out.[/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]Would this be a front row substitution? I think it would be a front row substitution, as I am substituting a front row player (3.4.d), so if this was the first substitution I would still be able to substitute another front row player and up to five other players. Am I correct?[/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]Thanks[/FONT]

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
For me they can sub:

1 & 2

2 & 3

or

1 & 3

Once those player are no longer in the FR (unles it is a "replacement" as oppose to a "substitution") that is it.

In your case 19 has replaced (as a sub not an injury "replacement") 1. The fact 19 is playing at 8 and 8 is now at 1 does not change 19 is on and 1 is off.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
(d) A replacement front row player may start the match in another position.