GAGR Breakdown Analysis - NZ vs Aus

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So I guess I must be missing something here. The world seems to be calling for change again...

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/video-part-2-tri-nations-breakdowns/

Analysis by Green and Gold Rugby showing the issues at the breakdown caused by both the Wallabies and the All Blacks. To be fair I think it's actually a fairly well balanced and well reasoned presentation of the facts given the letter of the law. It shows that, for the most part, the issues are caused by all three teams in roughly the same proportion, and that the emphasis is placed on policing the defending team. I don't think there is anyone on the board who would have been surprised by those facts?

Overall though I thought that the analysis showed absolutely no understanding of material effect. I thought form this perspective that Craig Joubert had a fantastic game and blew penalties where they needed to be blown. He appropriately policed the breakdowns and was consistent and accurate in his refereeing of the T/R/M. I think the knock on shown in the video was borderline, but I have no issue with it not being blown up in this case, the playing it on the ground however is a different story, and one that should have led to a PK.

Overall I disagree with the analysis that the emphasis needs to change. I thought the refereeing was consistent and fair, and accurate for the most part. Based on that performance, I would not have any issues with Joubert reffing Aus v NZ in the final in October :) If we change the emphasis away from the attacking team again then you lose the ball in hand running rugby that has been so prevalent in the Super 15 this year, and you go back to the kick and chase of 2007. Does anyone really want to go back to that?

chutneyf

Facebook Member
Post Likes
"Clear and obvious", if the general public were more aware of the existence of this phrase then this article would be a non-event

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Can I ask our Aussie friends a serious qustion, are Aussie rugby folk ever happy with state of rugby union?

Will they ever be happy?

I ask this as they potrayed (in our media I fully accept) that they are not happy - what's the reality?

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
The first video a week ago was a thinly veiled smear on the All Blacks. This one seems a little more objective, and it had to be because obviously people were expecting a video, and if it was as ridiculous as many of the GaGR videos, there would be a smattering of videos showing Australian offences - I even went through and made a list myself of all the Breaksdown offences I could find.

They claim they got to 55, I made it to 28. I wonder if the issue is that they are not interested in whether an offence is material or not, and just picking up any technical infringement, however minor and however irrelevant to the game.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
"Clear and obvious", if the general public were more aware of the existence of this phrase then this article would be a non-event

In the eyes of Joe Public, every offense by the "other" team is "clear and obvious".

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In the eyes of Joe Public, every offense by the "other" team is "clear and obvious".

I think that's true actually. Any time you make a 50/50 call someone is going to be upset.

Overall I think most of the grassroots players are very happy with the current emphasis and interpretations. No one wants to go back to 2007. I think everyone is happy with international rugby as well, at least I don't hear any major complaints about the overall direction that refereeing has taken this year. Everyone has their favourites of course, but I think the balance is pretty good right now.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Overall I think most of the grassroots players are very happy with the current emphasis and interpretations. No one wants to go back to 2007. I think everyone is happy with international rugby as well, at least I don't hear any major complaints about the overall direction that refereeing has taken this year. Everyone has their favourites of course, but I think the balance is pretty good right now.

I agree. They now have the balance right between allowing the team in possession to keep continuity, but still having a contest at the breakdown. I hope they just leave it alone. Mind you, they had the Laws right in the late 1990's too, with some of the most exciting rugby I've ever seen, then they tinkered with things, and stuffed the game for 10 years.

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No call should ever be 50/50 :rolleyes: if its that close dont make it.

You know what I mean Andy! :nono: If you blow a penalty or decide that there was no material effect, someone is going to disagree with you to matter what...