Going off feet at a ruck.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
If the ruck is over, ie: the ball is out, we are in open play. Any player who was onside at the end of the ruck can go through and pick up the ball. Tackle phase is over so there is no gate and ruck phase is over so there is no longer any requirement to enter the play from behind and alongside the hindmost team mate from the previous ruck.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
then his options are ...? Anyone, anyone ..., something d-o-o economics, ...

Do not take part in play until put onside under Law 11.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Do not take part in play until put onside under Law 11.

11.8 to be precise.

So, if the player is offside when the ruck ends, coming through the gate is insufficient. He/she must estimate where the offside line was at the time the ruck ended and return to that point before playing the ball.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
11.8 to be precise.

So, if the player is offside when the ruck ends, coming through the gate is insufficient. He/she must estimate where the offside line was at the time the ruck ended and return to that point before playing the ball.

As I understand it, the player needs to either:

a) go back to where the offside line was,
b) get put onside by an onside player moving in front of him,
c) or the opponents put him onside by running 5 metres with the ball, passing or kicking it.

Not quite sure what you meant by coming through the gate. The gate is a term involved with a tackle, although it can probably be also used to describe entering a ruck/maul from behind your team mates last feet. Here though, the consensus is that the ruck is over, so we are now in general play.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As I understand it, the player needs to either:

a) go back to where the offside line was,
b) get put onside by an onside player moving in front of him,
c) or the opponents put him onside by running 5 metres with the ball, passing or kicking it.

Not quite sure what you meant by coming through the gate. The gate is a term involved with a tackle, although it can probably be also used to describe entering a ruck/maul from behind your team mates last feet. Here though, the consensus is that the ruck is over, so we are now in general play.

Your option b. is not allowable under 11.8. 11.8 deals specifically with the situation in discussion.

Who is in your consensus? Are you in IC's lounge room?

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Your option b. is not allowable under 11.8. 11.8 deals specifically with the situation in discussion.

Who is in your consensus? Are you in IC's lounge room?

Good point, I had remembered wrong. He can only get back onside by opponent running 5 metres or kicking it. I had confused the law around players being offside after a kick (11.2 and 11.3) with those in 11.8.

As for the consensus that the ruck is over at that point, well I am not hearing any objections to that, but feel free to chip in if you disagree.