Gone missing

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Incident from a recent match.

Away team kicks a PK from outside the 22 to just short of the corner flag. As the referee runs over, he realises the "corner flag" is actually the one marking the far corner of in-goal - the real corner flag was lying in the grass several metres away. What should he do?

(Yes, he had checked the pitch and flags before the start. No, neither he nor the away team had spotted that there was only one flag in that area instead of the usual two.)

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Probably not technically correct at all but I would be inclined to get the player to just take it again.Seems fair and equitable and full of common sense to me.

What actually happened?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
bad luck. Scrum/22 option to opposition.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
He should throw the back-corner flags into the nearest river because they serve no useful purpose

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Re: Re : Gone missing

He should throw the back-corner flags into the nearest river because they serve no useful purpose
They indicate the depth of the in-goal area, which may not otherwise be clear.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Incident from a recent match.

Away team kicks a PK from outside the 22 to just short of the corner flag. As the referee runs over, he realises the "corner flag" is actually the one marking the far corner of in-goal - the real corner flag was lying in the grass several metres away. What should he do?

(Yes, he had checked the pitch and flags before the start. No, neither he nor the away team had spotted that there was only one flag in that area instead of the usual two.)

So what did the ref do?

The in goal must have been VERY shallow for all to misinterpret this way or otherwise very poor visibility

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Re: Re : Re: Re : Gone missing

Is there not just the slightest bit of irony here?
Of course.

The only flags that really matter are the corner flags. The rest are mildly useful, though I did find they helped when we played on a pitch that was close to a hedge, but by no means parallel to it.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
So what did the ref do?

The in goal must have been VERY shallow for all to misinterpret this way or otherwise very poor visibility
What Taffy said - allowed the player to retake after the corner flag had been replaced. I thought that was fair enough, and nobody complained.

I think it was a case of seeing what you expect to see (a flag in roughly the right place), so not taking in anything else. Nobody else noticed until they went over to where they presumed the lineout would be. Hindsight is 20/20 of course.