Grabbing the back of the collar

fatscally

Post Likes
This has bugged me for ages. What's the situation when;
a defender chases down the ball carrier from behind, while running stretches and reaches out and grabs the back of the players collar and yanks him back?

RLRef1984

Referees in England
Post Likes
In Rugby League Play on, Shirt tackles are ok and not classed as part of neck

RLRef1984

Referees in England
Post Likes
The Union rule is one I prefer, Saying that most league teams are getting rid of proper collars. Players should not resort to shirt grabbing

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
The NFL calls this a horse collar tackle. It gets players here very worked up when they see it.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
This has bugged me for ages. What's the situation when;
a defender chases down the ball carrier from behind, while running stretches and reaches out and grabs the back of the players collar and yanks him back?

10.4 [e] it's almost always dangerous - PK minimum

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
There's a difference between simply grabbing the collar and a horsecollar tackle - for a horsecollar you also need to pull downwards immediately after grabbing. It often generates a very nasty-looking backwards fall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnlfuCEuIIA

And yes, it's a 15-yard personal foul.

fatscally

Post Likes
Looking at that video I'd say what I'm thinking of is more of a Horse Collar Tackle. I always seen it as dangerous as it could damage the front of the neck but I wasn't sure on the ruling.

Paully

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
During this season I came across a 1 armed winger - in attack and front on defence it was difficult to tell the difference (he wrapped his good arm). He was also one of the quickest backs so did a lot of covering. At one stage he tracked down a break away and grabbed the collar. I penalised him and he said "but what can i do differently?" I had no answer.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
During this season I came across a 1 armed winger - in attack and front on defence it was difficult to tell the difference (he wrapped his good arm). He was also one of the quickest backs so did a lot of covering. At one stage he tracked down a break away and grabbed the collar. I penalised him and he said "but what can i do differently?" I had no answer.
Dive and grab a leg? Or even an arm. It seems a shame, but the tackle is still dangerous.