[Ruck] Hands in the ruck?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Taff, a maul can become a ruck if the ball is on the floor as that ends the maul and if there are players closing round the ball on the floor that is a ruck. I don't think it can happen the other way as picking the ball up legally does not end the ruck, so it is still a ruck.
Sorry Pinky, but I think a ruck can become a maul.

If a jackler manages to lift the ball off the ground legally and all the other criteria for a maul are met (ball carrier on his feet and 2 opposing players bound on) surely it wouldn't make sense to treat it as a ruck when we are looking at a clear maul.

I haven't got them to hand, but I'm pretty sure there has been a clarification on this.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Sorry Pinky, but I think a ruck can become a maul.

If a jackler manages to lift the ball off the ground legally and all the other criteria for a maul are met (ball carrier on his feet and 2 opposing players bound on) surely it wouldn't make sense to treat it as a ruck when we are looking at a clear maul.

I haven't got them to hand, but I'm pretty sure there has been a clarification on this.

Just for the record this doesn't constitute a maul.

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Imo the 1st arriving player [after a completed tackle] has a decision to make.

does he.....
a] want to pick up the ball, & continue (open play with no new offside lines created] or
b] does he want to park himself over the ball and create a 'mono ruck' & therefore establish new offside lines
forming a ruck & then picking the ball up seems to be 'cake & eat it' to me

unless the game wants to allow mono-rucker an the exception to normal 'handling' law? - in which case it needs to specify the same.

If it does, then it would have to specify that doing so ends the mono-ruck, open play is now operational, & from that open play status a maul can now be formed.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Just for the record this doesn't constitute a maul.
Sorry, bad wording on my part.

When I said "opposing player" I didn't mean 2 players from the opposing team - I meant 1 player from each team ie opposing each other.