Happy feet v nodding dog v once you see it stay still (to a point!)

Stoo48

Referees in America
Post Likes
Was watched again yesterday as a coaching session. In my last assesment I had been picked up for being to static at ruck and maul, although I think I had view of the ball at least 95% of the time (I'd like to think it was more but that would probably be ambitous).

So going into Saturday I went thinking happy feet, until befopre the game said coach suggested why move about just to please an assessor?

Started game, slightly confused but planning to please every one......

1/2 comes coach says..... I know what your problem is...... You get there (usually 3rd or 4th man ish), you find it, you step back for your positioning, then you look like a nodding, ducking dog, bobbing up and down almost to make it look like you still have the ball in sight. However, from the touchline, it looks like you don't know where it is.

His suggestion, find it, step into your chosen position check its still there, monitor off side lines and people joining, occaisionally check again, but with out bobbing up and down like demented fool (my words not his).

Offered up for comment and possible use to others.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Not clear on the problem diagnosis now!

Are you static?

Stoo48

Referees in America
Post Likes
Yes I was static, but was static because I knew the position of the ball and could see players joining and along the defensive line, assesor picked it up because as my coach suggested he thought I couldn't find it as I was bobbing up and down, coaches solution, don't move for the sake of it or just to look good, find it, stick with it and move as needed.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I suspect different points are being made to correct different problems.

If you are standing still staring at the ruck, you are not looking at what could be happening elsewhere, and "happy feet" is one way of getting you to scan the field better.

However moving for the sake of it is pointless. Compromise: if the game isn't static, why should you be? Always be ready to move to where you can see best, even when play is static.

This is one reason why I find a listening kit so helpful. From what the referee is saying to the players I can tell what he is seeing much better than from the sidelines.

Stoo48

Referees in America
Post Likes
OB, still being a relative term, my point was more about not dancing around the back of ruck and maul for no reason, I'm not implying my feet were cast in concrete.

I agree fully that when your listening you should find it apparent what the referee can see in reality by his comments to the players.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Running touch in a tracksuit........in the middle of Summer?
How very American :wink:

Dave, do you always photograph your food before you devour it?

of course! like a kill!

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
regarding the track suit...I was showcasing my new akuma gear...

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Phil_E - I know the wording on that plaque off by heart! It was a brilliant piece of PR, not supported by the Report of the Old Rugbeian Sub-Committee that it is supposedly based on. WWE was a red herring on the lines of Abner Doubleday.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Moving about is not to get a better view of the ball - you've been there, seen it, seen what's going on and called the phase.

Now you need to know what else is happening, get a different viewpoint.

So move position, keep the vital area of the breakdown in view but look at other things as well, and from other angles.

See the whole thing, don't focus too tight.

(just tight enough:confused: :) )