Held uo

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
This from today. Blue attacking and hammering the line. Blue hooker gets over the line, but seems either short or a hand under it. I am not certain. I award a 5m scrum blue. Was this right? Second half maul goes over but held up again over the line in lots of bodies not gone to ground and I again award 5 metre scrum. Again, presumably the same scrum? There were lots of referees on the sideline shouting nonsense at the time. In the second half I even had a famous "you've got to let him up ref".

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Blue attacking and hammering the line. Blue hooker gets over the line, but seems either short or a hand under it. I am not certain. I award a 5m scrum blue. Was this right?
Sounds about right to me. If it was held up in-goal it's an attacking 5m scrum, or if it's an unplayable tackle in the FoP it's a scrum to the side going forward ... in this case Blue. Whichever it was, it sounds like an Blue scrum 5m out.

... Second half maul goes over but held up again over the line in lots of bodies not gone to ground and I again award 5 metre scrum. Again, presumably the same scrum? There were lots of referees on the sideline shouting nonsense at the time.
Did you ask them afterwards what they were expecting? :chin:

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Correct both times - held up is attackers 5m scrum (22.10); maul ends successfully if the ball is on or over the goal-line (17.5) and then the ball is effectively held up again.

Only one opportunity for an urban myth to be shouted?