He's coming home!

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
IF RA axe Rennie for Jones this close to a major tournament just because he is free it shows that they are completely incompetent and unable to effectively manage future planning. Put him on as an assistant and leave it at that until after the WC and reassess depending on how the team goes.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Darcy Swain doesn't have the brains to be a Maro Itoje. Fainga'a doesn't have the brains to be Dylan Hartley.

Rennie has at least got the squad seeming to be happy to be playing for each other, and was happy to let Hooper have the time away to get right. I'm not sure either of these things would be true with Jones based on the reports coming out of review. He's yesterday's style of coach.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Darcy Swain doesn't have the brains to be a Maro Itoje. Fainga'a doesn't have the brains to be Dylan Hartley.

Rennie has at least got the squad seeming to be happy to be playing for each other, and was happy to let Hooper have the time away to get right. I'm not sure either of these things would be true with Jones based on the reports coming out of review. He's yesterday's style of coach.
His style is definately more old school. Not that Australian players couldn't do with a bit more mongrel and "hardness", but I agree that unrelenting styles like EJ doesn't always fit in modern professional rugby, especially around player protection.

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
IF RA axe Rennie for Jones this close to a major tournament just because he is free it shows that they are completely incompetent and unable to effectively manage future planning. Put him on as an assistant and leave it at that until after the WC and reassess depending on how the team goes.
Well well well, guess what happened

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well well well, guess what happened
I think if you ask many people involved in rugby in Australia they would agree with the fact that the management of RA is incompetent at best. Some might even describe it as "corrupt" and devoid of all worth to the grassroots - not me , but some might.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
A couple of thoughts:
1. if RA hadn't grabbed Jones now he would have undoubtably been picked up by someone else
2. Rennie's record has been poor. A late win against Wales saved the Wallabies from their worst year since 1958
3. Rennie was likely to head to Japan after the WC anyway so wasn't a long term prospect

Will be interesting to see how the players respond both on & off field.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
This will be interesting. It's anopther jobs for the mates thing. Hamish and Jones are old mates, so this isn't really a shocker.

If all the rumours are true, Rennie could be at Murrayfield, or Tokyo. Toonie might be off to Welford Road. I, for one, would welcome our Kiwi Overlord. His results weren't great, but having a look at what he had to work with - Darcy Swain, FFS - I'd have given him some mitigation.

Hamish's press statement was a bit...optimistic. "We got the best coach in the world!"
World: You got Galthie? No? OK. Farrell then? Still no. Hmmm. Did you take a long punt on Sean Edwards? No. *long think* Did you...No; you couldn't have; the sheer audacity; you...you got Wayne SMITH?!?!

oh. eddie jones. fuck my old boots.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Toonie? Is that Townsend?