High tackles whilst diving for a try

SBP

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
This has happened a few times now, both as a player and an official. A player is diving to score in the corner. His opponent tries to tackle him as he is diving, and the tackling player catches the diving player high, but not dangerously. Logic and law would imply that this should be a penalty try for a high tackle, but the wording of the penalty try law makes me unsure, as the foul neither prevented the try from being scored, nor being scored in an advantageous position (as the player was already diving, in my interpretation). I've only been refereeing for less than 6 months, and it doesn't seem like there's any official guidance in my cursory research. What do you think?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It’s very much a case by case interpretation, however some of the things I look at is the ‘head contact process’ when determining if there has been foul play.

In the instance of a player diving for the line and a would be tackler also diving that IMO that defender has attempted to make a legal tackle by going low and there is no foul play there so it’s just play on for me.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Even if there is foul play, it would be standard practice to award the try where it is scored. In that situation, a red or yellow may be appropriate too

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
A player is diving to score in the corner. His opponent tries to tackle him as he is diving, and the tackling player catches the diving player high, but not dangerously.

Only time this is going to get tricky is when the tackle nudges the ball carrier over and puts the ball and/or ball carrier into touch. Then it gets a bit binary - either fair tackle and no try or PT and yellow, maybe red, if any foul play.

As @Drift put it - take it case by case, but generally (without a TMO, of course) your gut is going to either say “well played” or “oh dear…”

Last edited:

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Only time this is going to get tricky is when the tackle nudges the ball carrier over and puts the ball and/or ball carrier into touch. Then it gets a bit binary - either fair tackle and no try or PT and yellow, maybe red, if any foul play.

As @Drift put it - take it case by case, but generally (without a TMO, of course) your gut is going to either say “well played” or “oh dear…”
Gets even more tricky at lower level games when you don't have a touch judge!

number11

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Be comfortable blowing time off, to gather your thoughts. Don't panic and look like a deer in the headlights
This is great advice.

I often explain the situation aloud and make the decision when I finish explaining. When players hear your reasoning, more often than not they accept the decision.

For example:

"Your winger dived for the line, red 7 went it low for the tackle but caught him around the shoulders. A technical high tackle but with no injuries, try given."

"Blue winger dived for the line, your 7 made an illegal tackle resulting in a head injury. Penalty try, red card."

It will depend on how the players react. If the winger jumps up to celebrate, then I would almost not mention it. Perhaps speak with the tackler (and be seen speaking to him by the other side) but say something like "I know he was diving, but I need these tackles to be kept low".

If the winger's team mates rush in for collar inspections, it may need harsher sanctions.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This is great advice.

I often explain the situation aloud and make the decision when I finish explaining. When players hear your reasoning, more often than not they accept the decision.

For example:

"Your winger dived for the line, red 7 went it low for the tackle but caught him around the shoulders. A technical high tackle but with no injuries, try given."

"Blue winger dived for the line, your 7 made an illegal tackle resulting in a head injury. Penalty try, red card."

It will depend on how the players react. If the winger jumps up to celebrate, then I would almost not mention it. Perhaps speak with the tackler (and be seen speaking to him by the other side) but say something like "I know he was diving, but I need these tackles to be kept low".

If the winger's team mates rush in for collar inspections, it may need harsher sanctions.
I like all of this except the highlighted. Given the OP's scenario, I'm not sure that a PT is justified. According to the Law Definitions...

Penalty try: Awarded when, in the opinion of the referee, a try probably would have been scored (or scored in a more advantageous position) if not for an act of foul play by an opponent.

Well the try was scored, and its hard to imagine a situation where a player diving for the try line could have scored in a more advantageous position had he not been tackled high.