[Line out] Hooker standing inside field of play when throwing in

pombok

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I'm sure it's been asked a thousand times but I can't find any reference in the new law book.

What's the sanction (if any) for a hooker standing inside the field of play when throwing. My thoughts are firstly to tell him to stand correctly and try again, next time to award a free kick on the 15.

Thoughts?

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In the territory of an incorrect throw in.

It doesn't present a huge digression and hardly likely to be material. But for the sake of good order and depending the level, it will be an advisory not to repeat and then look at pulling up at any subsequent infringement.

Last edited:

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1

Option of Scrum or Lineout.

pombok

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Subsequent infringement then being a "turnover" lineout - i.e. defending team now has the lineout in the same position?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
[LAWS]18.22 [FONT=fs_blakeregular]The player throwing in the ball stands on the mark of touch with both feet outside the field of play. The thrower must not step into the field of play until the ball has been thrown. [/FONT][COLOR=#2A3D83 !important][FONT=fs_blakeregular]Sanction: [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#2A3D83 !important][FONT=fs_blakeregular]Option of lineout or scrum.[/FONT][/COLOR][/LAWS]
All hookers stand with their feet across the touchline, toes actually in the field of play. Nobody sanctions this.

What does get picked up is the player who takes a step into the field of play when throwing, particularly at a Quick Throw-in.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If their heels are on the line then they are in touch and therefore not in the field of play.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
not like this (thanks to Menace :)

Screenshot_2018-03-20-12-48-41.jpg

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If their heels are on the line then they are in touch and therefore not in the field of play.
[LAWS]6.26
  • Signalling touch:
    • When the ball or the ball-carrier has gone into touch or touch-in-goal, the assistant referee or touch judge holds up the flag.
    • The assistant referee or touch judge stands at the place of the throw and points to the team entitled to throw in.
    • When the ball is thrown in, the assistant referee or touch judge lowers the flag, with the following exceptions:
      • When the player throwing in puts any part of either foot in the field of play.
[/LAWS]
This is not the same as a player being in touch - which is probably why it is so widely ignored.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
[LAWS]6.26
  • Signalling touch:
    • When the ball or the ball-carrier has gone into touch or touch-in-goal, the assistant referee or touch judge holds up the flag.
    • The assistant referee or touch judge stands at the place of the throw and points to the team entitled to throw in.
    • When the ball is thrown in, the assistant referee or touch judge lowers the flag, with the following exceptions:
      • When the player throwing in puts any part of either foot in the field of play.
[/LAWS]
This is not the same as a player being in touch - which is probably why it is so widely ignored.

Quite a laughable one really. Outcome?

"Material? Not material?", becomes the only practical point to debate.

Yet, it retains its place within the laws.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Generallly when I run touch I ask the ref what they want me to do about this.
Usually we agree that the first line out with any hooker you watch where they stand and if necessary ask them to stands correctly.
That changes the dynamic to one of not obeying the instruction of an official.
However, once you ask them, they tend to obey the law - especially if you say, the ref asked me to ensure you are legal - odd that.

Similarly if the ref tells the 10 that the TJ will give them the mark for offside, the backs will sheepishly retire when you ask.
But if the ref does not breif the 10, they ignore you as they assume you are only running touch.