Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The clip was edited to show just the swinging arm and impact of Hooper's hand and the effect it had on the victim's head. I did not consider the the follow through irrelevant as it is not part of what I was arguing so I didn't bother with it. However if you would like me to post another expanded clip that shows the next 0.3 of a second until Sanchz hit the deck, I can do that for you. If not then shut the hell up!

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Final warning!

SimonSmith is not "my buddy". We haven't always agreed with each other in the past, it just that because you are a noob; you haven't been around long enough to see it. If you do some genuine data analysis you'll soon see this to be the case.

You have been warned about your behaviour several times. If you continue with the jibes, the personal attacks the and impugning of integrity of other members, including mods, you will run us out of options.

Consider this your final warning!

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
But isn't striking, striking? Or are some animals more equal than others? And what if Weeks had gone down like a shower of the proverbial like the Argie rather than giving JdP a rather larger serving of what he'd just received?

Striking is striking; but a pat on the cheek is different from a kick in the teeth - wouldn't you agree?

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Striking is striking; but a pat on the cheek is different from a kick in the teeth - wouldn't you agree?

Yes - different parts of the body making contact and different sections of the laws covering such:
[LAWS]10.4 (a)
Punching or striking. A player must not strike an opponent with the fist or arm, including the elbow, shoulder, head or knee(s).
(c)
Kicking. A player must not kick an opponent

[/LAWS]

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I actually admire and am jealous of some of the forensic presentation skills often displayed by the aforementioned poster, and have said so on previous occassions, however I'm perfectly within my rights on a public forum to say when I feel any poster is taking a selective approach to any subject, let's not forget this posters legendary ability to say what he likes to anyone ! So save your sycophanticism its unnecessary and unwanted.

Actually, you aren't. There are behavioral standards we sign up to when we join this site. One of those is not attacking the integrity of other posters. It's not a public site 1 it's owned by Robbie and he has delegated management of those standards to the Mods. If you don't like the standards, you have choices:
Adapt to meet them
Self select away from the site
continue and get banned in perpetuity.

there are very few bright lines on this site - integrity is one of them. Trying to be the online equivalent of Dylan Hartley will get a life ban, not just 11 weeks.

The poster self declares as an expert at such media presentation things, so i dismiss the notion that the sample 'selected' clip was accidentally foreshortened and i merely offer up the suggestion that it was so manufactured to try and promote his own view, which coincidentally is against a forthcoming NZAB opponent.

As for targeting, if you do some genuine data analysis you'll soon see both a disproportionate response rate and spikey language used aimed at this postee.

If you don't agree, or indeed can't be arsed, then sobeit and tough in equal proportion, you can own that prerogative without the lecture thank you.

Analysis will show that in any exchanges you are usually the instigator.

the conversation is done. I am no-one's sycophant or fan; Ian and I have had our exchanges in the past, but at least we unrestored how to behave to each other. The warning is in effect. What you do with that information is entirely up to you.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Yes - different parts of the body making contact and different sections of the laws covering such:
[LAWS]10.4 (a)
Punching or striking. A player must not strike an opponent with the fist or arm, including the elbow, shoulder, head or knee(s).
(c)

[/LAWS]

Touché; but a pat on the cheek is different from a knee to the crotch, wouldn't you agree?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
[LAWS]10.4 (a)
(c)

[/LAWS]
These are different levels of striking and they are dealt with differently.
Note the first item....it shows that striking using the hand, arm and fist are regarded by WR as one an the same thing.

[LAWS]WR Regulation 17 Appendix 1

10.4(a) Striking another Player with a hand, arm or fist
LE – 2 weeks
MR – 5 weeks
TE – 8+ weeks

10.4(a) Striking another Player with the elbow
LE – 2 weeks
MR – 5 weeks
TE – 9+ weeks

10.4(a) Striking with knee
LE – 3 weeks
MR – 8 weeks
TE – 12+ weeks

10.4(a) Striking with head
LE – 4 weeks
MR – 10 weeks
TE – 16+ weeks [/LAWS]

Striking with the shoulder is also mentioned in Law 10.4 (a) but its dealt with separately...

[laws]10.4(k) Dangerous charging or obstructing or grabbing of opponent without the ball, including shouldering
LE – 2 weeks
MR – 5 weeks
TE – 10+ weeks

10.4(g) Dangerous charging or knocking down an opponent with the ball, including shouldering
LE – 2 weeks
MR – 5 weeks
TE – 10+ weeks
[/laws]

The ARU's appeal contention that hitting with the open hand was not striking has failed (thank heavens because I could not think of a worse can of worms to be opening just before RWC).

IMO, it fails on two counts.... Regulation 17 makes it clear that it does count as striking (even though the law doesn't specifically mention it, and there is this

Playing Charter 2015 - Spirit

Rugby owes much of its appeal to the fact that it is played both to the letter and within the Spirit of the Laws. The responsibility for ensuring that this happens lies not with one individual - it involves coaches, captains, players and referees.

Its a shame that some unions appear to have forgotten this!

Last edited:

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Mod edit

[make your comments to the person concerned in a PM]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have closed this thread to prevent further discussion.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Jarod/Menace, I have shared your posts & thoughts with the moderator group. I'll keep you updated if anything relevant develops.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.