[Scrum] How difficult is it to detect Front Rows and angles?

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
More and more TV coverage is giving us armchair pundits overhead views of scrums which make a mockery of having packs pushing straight and square.
While I understand the difficulty of not being able to watch everything, all the time, I am also interested in hearing from experience just how hard it is to detect props driving in at angles.
As an example I would point to the Sco/Ire game on the weekend where Ireland's early domination in the scrum looked to be mainly because the Irish TH was targeting inward on the Scotland hooker and taking no weight form the Scotland LH.
The appearance at ground level was that the Irish scrum was simply too strong and the Scotland FR was having trouble coping but the overhead shots clearly showed illegalities.
At this level of rugby could this be something the TMO could comment on via mic to the ref? Or does that necessitate the implementation of 'spidercams' everywhere for fairness?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
More and more TV coverage is giving us armchair pundits overhead views of scrums which make a mockery of having packs pushing straight and square. ... At this level of rugby could this be something the TMO could comment on via mic to the ref?
I do like the "spider cams" it makes spotting offences a lot easier. TBH, I assumed that if they were available, the TMO was already having a quiet word with the Ref.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Judging by the three games so far: Pretty near impossible!

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's only at the top level that it's really a problem. Down where the majority of us ref it doesn't happen very often and when it does it's pretty obvious (probably due to incompetence) - usually backsides flicking out accompanied by a second row who's also lost his binding.

I agree that if you have an overhead camera you should use it, if it's only a quiet "by the way, green 3 was doing this on the last scrum"