How many games?

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I have been educationg a friend about rugby. Watching a 6th Nations match he asked me how many games a player played in a year. I don't really know so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Take a player that plays International level rugby, say he plays 50% of his nation's matches. He also plays for a club in the Guinness and Magner's cup tourneyments etc....

Assuming good health, how many games total in a year on average?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
That is really going to depend on the player and level and country.

England - ballpark one every weekend between end of August and April. Then throw in Internationals on tour...A number not unadjacent to 45 may not be unlikely

rocco

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
ISTR that there is a limit on games a player plays a season, at least at the elite level. However, this is based on starts and is got round by coming off the bench. I believe UK players play more than Southern hemisphere by some margin. Certainly 38 games is not unusual.

PS The elite player game limit is 32.

Last edited:

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
OK, let's look at a team. How many games a year would say Munster or the London Irish play in a year?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
taking London Irish...

22 regular season Premiership games, plus a potential 3 in the play offs
6 HC/Amlin games, plus possible 3 in knockout
4 LV Cup, plus possible two

40 club games maximum, unless I've missed any tournaments or lost the ability to count.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
yep - renamed to the LV this season.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
An Australian top level club player in Sydney would play 22 regular season games, plus up to 3 finals. We don't have cups, only the league.

A Super 14 player would have 13 club games, with potentially 2 finals. The international players would then go off and do their thing there. The non-internationals will go back to club rugby.

The big gap between Super 14 and club rugby was the reason for the ill-fated national club competition a couple of years ago.