How much are they paying you?

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Seems to meet most of the criteria of ' ur a cheat' so why not a RC?

Eh, I would say it's more of a frustrated comment than it is an accusation of cheating. In a lower level game I'd be 100% supportive of going for the RC.
Also keep in mind that 10mins with 12 men in RL is a lot more of a disadvantage than 10mins with 14 men in union.

Seems the NRL has told the refs to stop taking shit from the players though - a Gold Coast Titans player was also given 10 in the bin for backchat today. About time!!

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
My standard rule of thumb for watching NRL clips these days is "upgrade the sanction one level and you'll probably be in the right place". Works fine for me here!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My standard rule of thumb for watching NRL clips these days is "upgrade the sanction one level and you'll probably be in the right place". Works fine for me here!

That is a bagful of YCs then.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Eh, not quite. If it's just a penalty, maybe there's something extra there that deserved to go on report. If it went on report, they probably should have sat him down for 10. If they sent him for 10, he probably shouldn't have come back.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Eh, I would say it's more of a frustrated comment than it is an accusation of cheating.

Maybe he should learn to express his frustration differently than by accusing the ref of taking bribes? Perhaps shout at his team-mate instead?

In a lower level game I'd be 100% supportive of going for the RC.
Also keep in mind that 10mins with 12 men in RL is a lot more of a disadvantage than 10mins with 14 men in union.

Is that not as much if not more of an argument for players keeping civil tongues in their heads than for refs not RC'ing them when they accuse them of cheating?

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Maybe he should learn to express his frustration differently than by accusing the ref of taking bribes? Perhaps shout at his team-mate instead?

Is that not as much if not more of an argument for players keeping civil tongues in their heads than for refs not RC'ing them when they accuse them of cheating?
I wouldn't have had a problem with a send off, but I was trying to play devil's advocate to Browner's comment. As long as they keep some amount of consistency from now on I'm fine with it.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I experienced first hand that NRL players behaviour on field does get absorbed and copied by young players - even the rugby players.
I had an U18 player, the Captain, say exactly this (How much are they paying you?) to me during a game on Saturday after I YC one of his players for repeated team infringements (despite being warned). Interestingly at the time his team was in control of the game winning 24-5 with 8min to go...and they won 24-12.

I had absolutely zero hesitation showing him exactly how much I got paid.....it was coloured red!

The best part is as he's walking off he turns and says "You shit c@nt!". Excellent...such respect! (I suspect he and half of his team are league players playing a bit of rugby). It will be interesting to see what, if any , additional sanction is given to him from the judiciary. I am saddened to see RL attitude traits infecting rugby.

(Not surprisingly I guess there was no apology from him or his coach for the incident after the game. I've found school boys will often reflect on what they said when they calm down and know it was wrong and apologise)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I hope you add the parting comment to the report?
:norc:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Don't blame RL for the rugby player's ill discipline ;)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I experienced first hand that NRL players behaviour on field does get absorbed and copied by young players - even the rugby players.
I had an U18 player, the Captain, say exactly this (How much are they paying you?) to me during a game on Saturday after I YC one of his players for repeated team infringements (despite being warned). Interestingly at the time his team was in control of the game winning 24-5 with 8min to go...and they won 24-12.

I had absolutely zero hesitation showing him exactly how much I got paid.....it was coloured red!

The best part is as he's walking off he turns and says "You shit c@nt!". Excellent...such respect! (I suspect he and half of his team are league players playing a bit of rugby). It will be interesting to see what, if any , additional sanction is given to him from the judiciary. I am saddened to see RL attitude traits infecting rugby.

(Not surprisingly I guess there was no apology from him or his coach for the incident after the game. I've found school boys will often reflect on what they said when they calm down and know it was wrong and apologise)

I'd be interested to know his socio-economic demographic (but understand if you'd prefer not to comment).

I find that people with a poor English vocabulary often are forced to use foul language as they don't have any other outlets for their thoughts/emotions.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I find that people with a poor English vocabulary often are forced to use foul language as they don't have any other outlets for their thoughts/emotions.
It seems reasonable to expect them to know that you do not argue with the referee. That gets round any need to choose your words "properly" to express your emotions.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It seems reasonable to expect them to know that you do not argue with the referee. That gets round any need to choose your words "properly" to express your emotions.

How much are they paying you?
is not arguing, it is an accusation. In reality, the player knew that the opposition wern't paying Menace anything, but he (the culprit) has no other words in his aresnal to call on. It's like when a cornered snake bites you. There is no animosity, it just doesn't have any other course of action.

Don't take this as defending the culprit, I just try to understand.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
is not arguing, it is an accusation. In reality, the player knew that the opposition wern't paying Menace anything, but he (the culprit) has no other words in his aresnal to call on. It's like when a cornered snake bites you. There is no animosity, it just doesn't have any other course of action.

The snake feels it has to bite to protect itself. That is not true of a rugby player. He should be aware that insulting the referee will cause him more damage than keeping quiet. In my experience players do learn that.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Dickie - he was of pacific island background, and his team is one from the 'rough side of the track'. (Both teams were similar in makeup)

I understand what you're getting at and perhaps his age, culture, and environment did contribute to what he said, but he was quite good with his words when he did try to debate why I shouldn't issue a YC to his player. Once I told him we weren't debating it, it was then he had a 10m walk to think about it and then accuse me of bias (aka cheating ). I get that he probably struggled to articulate his frustration, but he had enough time to think about shutting up and saying nothing rather than his poor choice of words he remembers seeing on the TV.

Perhaps he might learn to just shut his mouth than let fly and cause his team go down a player.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Dickie - he was of pacific island background, and his team is one from the 'rough side of the track'. (Both teams were similar in makeup)

I understand what you're getting at and perhaps his age, culture, and environment did contribute to what he said, but he was quite good with his words when he did try to debate why I shouldn't issue a YC to his player. Once I told him we weren't debating it, it was then he had a 10m walk to think about it and then accuse me of bias (aka cheating ). I get that he probably struggled to articulate his frustration, but he had enough time to think about shutting up and saying nothing rather than his poor choice of words he remembers seeing on the TV.

Perhaps he might learn to just shut his mouth than let fly and cause his team go down a player.

If he's captain of u18s then its likely that he has some considerable rugby experience,( I thought all kids in the SH stepped out of the baby-walker straight into their 1st fixture :) ..)

That experience will mean he encountered ' refs aren't cheats' previously. He knew exactly what he was saying, but likely thought his lack of expletive delivery would protect him.

Good decision ref. I doubt he'll attempt the same again. A good learning for him, his associates and all observers.