How narrow is ok?

David J.

Referees in America
Post Likes
Little controversy before the start of the 7s competition in San Diego. Apparently, they're using this field:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sam_Boyd_Stadium.jpg

A standard football field is ~48m wide, so there's not much room to expand.

Different sources list the rugby pitch as 58m, 62m, and 68m wide. As we now, there is not minimum width set in the laws, just a maximum. So...what's an acceptable minimum?

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
For 7s I wouldn't worry about it. Yes there will be a bit less space but each man will still have a 8 yard lane to run in. Besides, is JUST sevens.:wink:

I'm more worried about the match that fzxjkg is going to have. He's got more worries than missing 5M hashmarks and a missplaced 22. My early rugby experience often involved playing on gridiron pitches. With 15 a side and 20 yards less width it made for some brutal matches.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Minimum:

Theoretically - I'd say that the 15m lines can't overlap, and should bve before the posts. So 33.5m or somethng like that as a minimum.

Realistically - I'd say you want something arond 55m minimum, probably 60 for XVs.

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Gridiorn fields are 55 yards wide. Many have a 400m track oval around them. You can't widen them much before you need to worry about touch being very close to the edge of the oval, usually made of concrete.

There are very few stadiums in this country that you could fit a pitch on. All of them are probably NFL ones. Pretty much any others are college/univ and so have a track.