How to stop a maul without a card

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Additionally, when the front row set up square the hooker doesn't seem to have optional channels; 1, 2 and 3 into which they can hook and give a variety of attacking options, although with the number of squint throw ins nowadays hooking is not the skill it once was.
Packs in the old days managed the chanels. With anything like the feet back you see these days. We coped perfectly well.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Also if more upright you are setting up at right angles .
No one is suggeting at right angles. We are saying not feet right back. There "sweet spot" between the two. Right angles is asking from trouble.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
120 degrees at the knees is supposed to be (generically) optimum power position or summat - I heard similar bandied around when I was cycling a lot

number11

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
So instead of doing that, might running round the back and grabbing the ball (ie offside) and preventing the BC for taking it further forward not be a YC ? As that isn't dangerous ?
Check out Tadgh Byrne's actions in South Africa's final line out to maul.

He gets himself around on SA's side (thanks to their wheeling of the maul), latches on the ball carrier and prevents the immediate release of the ball. Outstanding work, all legal.

(The above clip should start at 7:17)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Yes. but I was talking about a very deliberate illegal act - hence

"(ie offside) "

Byrne's actions did not make him offside so that isn't an example of what i queried