Hurricanes vs jaguares

JohnP

Post Likes
Question, 74th minute jaguares player goes for line Barret slides in with feet soccer style ( commentators words) dislodges ball as Jaguares player is stretching to place ball, went to,TMO no try awarded. Think it was shin but very close to feet. Use of feet to stop scoring a try, is that an issue?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Question, 74th minute jaguares player goes for line Barret slides in with feet soccer style ( commentators words) dislodges ball as Jaguares player is stretching to place ball, went to,TMO no try awarded. Think it was shin but very close to feet. Use of feet to stop scoring a try, is that an issue?

It wasn't Barrett, it was Otere Black.

IMO, it was dangerous, and PT would not be out of order!

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Sounds dodgey.
The laws say that you cannot kick the ball from an attacking player's hands to prevent a try. Since a kick can be made with any part of the lower leg excluding the knee or heel, I would say the shin still constitutes a kick.
Agree with Ian C's comments

JohnP

Post Likes
Not a mention by commentators, not a surprise but also by TMO or ref. Was surprised as it was very obvious.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sounds dodgey.
The laws say that you cannot kick the ball from an attacking player's hands to prevent a try. Since a kick can be made with any part of the lower leg excluding the knee or heel, I would say the shin still constitutes a kick.
Agree with Ian C's comments

Fat.

While it wasn't a "kick" as such, Black slid in with his knees bent and his shins tucked back. Still dangerous and still possible PT IMO.

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hi Ian, I was at the game at at the time thought that the replays were to decide a PT and YC. It appears they weren't even considering it.

With all the emphasis on other safety aspects I can never understand why this act isn't clamped down on. We see innocuous head grabs treated the same as dangerous rolls but never do you see a defender penalised for sliding legs first in an attempt to stop a try.

One day there will be a facial laceration and everyone will get up in arms about it with emergency meetings and directives from above when it would be quite simple now to remind refs to apply the Law.

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
You could argue that technically he wasn't 'kicking the ball out of the players hands' but that seems to me to be archaic wording that is a bit surpassed in the modern game where players slide into contact at the line. The act itself is still dangerous.
If anyone is arguing the technicality then they are arguing for a loophole IMO.
In the FOP you cannot do that to a player on the ground in possession so why is it OK at the tryline?

Scenario: Defending player drops to ground to field ball that has been kicked downfield, kick chaser slides into contact to dislodge ball. What would you rule?