Illegal feed at the scrum

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Twice in the past week (a Gallagher Prem game last week and the NZ v Aus game) I've seen the scrum half get the ball stuck under his prop's knee while trying to put the ball in the scrum... it is getting ridiculous how blatant the feeding is a scrums.

I realise I'm wasting my time to wonder whether it will get corrected at elite level. I still pull this up at age-grade, though it has clearly filtered down because some kids feed the scrum like they are playing rugby league.

I've not yet refereed an adult match, but I'm thinking of joining the Society and/or volunteering for some 3rd team games. How strictly are you guys refereeing the scrum feed at grass roots?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Stu, if you're on the verge of reffing your first adult game, I think scrum feeds won't be your biggest challenge

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Stu, if you're on the verge of reffing your first adult game, I think scrum feeds won't be your biggest challenge
Good one
But Stu, in many ways adult games are easier than youth, so don't feel apprehensive about your debut .... Go for it

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Twice in the past week (a Gallagher Prem game last week and the NZ v Aus game) I've seen the scrum half get the ball stuck under his prop's knee while trying to put the ball in the scrum... it is getting ridiculous how blatant the feeding is a scrums.

I realise I'm wasting my time to wonder whether it will get corrected at elite level. I still pull this up at age-grade, though it has clearly filtered down because some kids feed the scrum like they are playing rugby league.

I've not yet refereed an adult match, but I'm thinking of joining the Society and/or volunteering for some 3rd team games. How strictly are you guys refereeing the scrum feed at grass roots?
As a minimum Stu make sure the hooker actually strikes the ball. If not, easy free kick and a word with the, probably experienced, scrum half to stop taking the piss!

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Lol, you are right. My main concerns are around the lineout and especially the scrum... I feel fairly confident about everything else. If I can keep up with u16 then I'm hopeful about keeping up with a 3rd team game.

As a minimum Stu make sure the hooker actually strikes the ball. If not, easy free kick and a word with the, probably experienced, scrum half to stop taking the piss!

So make sure the hooker actually makes contact with the ball, rather than the ball being sent straight to the second row by the scrum half?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Watch some more experienced guys at the level you will be working see what they do and chat to them about it. Definitely join and attend your society. Better that than a lone wolf.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Lol, you are right. My main concerns are around the lineout and especially the scrum... I feel fairly confident about everything else. If I can keep up with u16 then I'm hopeful about keeping up with a 3rd team game.
keep an eye on shenanigans at the breakdown. They'll be doing stuff U16's haven't dreamed of ;)