Intentionally knocking ball dead

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Have a watch of the first minute of Rebels v Sharks and compare with St Nigel's PT and YC in the HC semi-final. Different standard of proof being applied??

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
That was the worst decision I have seen from a professional referee in the last 12 months, possibly longer. Those who have not seen it are in for a bit of a shock.

Even the TMO tries to talk him out of it.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
That was the worst decision I have seen from a professional referee in the last 12 months, possibly longer. Those who have not seen it are in for a bit of a shock.

Even the TMO tries to talk him out of it.

Not only the TMO but also his AR. Ref looks at the replay and says he doesn't think a try would probably have been scored so just going with a PK and James Leckie says to him, "Do you want to have another look?" They do and AL still says he is just going with the PK. The TMO, his AR, me and just about everyone watching the game are all thinking WTF?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not only the TMO but also his AR. Ref looks at the replay and says he doesn't think a try would probably have been scored so just going with a PK and James Leckie says to him, "Do you want to have another look?" They do and AL still says he is just going with the PK. The TMO, his AR, me and just about everyone watching the game are all thinking WTF?

AL is a bit known for moments like that. I reckon he gets a bit of a "mind-set" under pressure.

A couple of years ago, he was refereeing ITM Cup, Bay of Plenty v Auckland IIRC. Quite aside from the fact that his positioning was awful (he was hit by the ball no less that three times in one match from routine backline passes from set piece), he also incorrectly awarded a scrum to Auckland when a BoP player kicked the ball dead from an attempted dropped goal. When challenged on it by the player, he replied, "a drop kick is just a kick" WTF!?

Even if he was right on that, he then awarded the scrum to Auckland without offering their captain options.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Shocking!!!

The AR was spot on (as I learned at HQ the weekend)

The protocol for TMO and the wrong decision by the ref is the line, let me show you that again!! or in the AR case, do you want to have another look at that.

The referee should have trigged, shit I have got the decision wrong.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Clearly he's forgot about "beam him up, Scotty!" He said something like "I don't think a try would have been scored because he (the defender) has front position." I'd have no problem with the decision, except it is clear from countless penalty try decisions that when the defender commits a penalisable offense, you pretend he was never there. Shocking call.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Presumably marked as a Critical Incident by the Match Observer, leading to an interesting conversation for AL with his coach.