Intercepting a pass 'from behind'... 'Offside'?

Steve70

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Evening all. I know this was previously answered in another thread, in a roundabout way, but I've invited some fellow coaches to take a look at this forum - in particular for this question, but for general stuff in the future.

so...

A breakdown occurs on the pitch. Red and blue players form up nicely both sides of the tackle/ruck - whatever it is - all onside and legal.

Red wins ball, heads off towards goal, with reds in support.

Blue player gives chase - let's say he was the tackler in previous phase, or just slow off the mark - but for some reason, is 'not his side of the ball'.

This Blue player then catches up with the reds and intercepts a pass from red to red.

"Offside!" Shout the crowd....

No, I explain, as this is open play and the blue player was never offside to start with.

Offside lines are created from rucks, tackles, mauls, scrums, kicks and line-outs. There is no offside in open play. If you are not offside from one of these, you are not offside. You can tackle or intercept the ball from 'behind' / 'the wrong side'.... If the blue player WAS offside at that previous ruck/tackle/maul etc - then he would be pinged for the interception for still being offside, unless played onside by the various actions - and thus could intercept that pass legally.

It doesn't 'look' right/pretty, but that's the law as far as I understand ....?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
He was offside at the previous ruck ( je was not behind the hindmost foot on his side, from your description). So was he put back on side as per:

11.8 PUTTING ONSIDE A PLAYER RETIRING DURING A RUCK, MAUL, SCRUM OR LINEOUT
When a ruck, maul, scrum or lineout forms, a player who is offside and is retiring as
required by Law remains offside even when the opposing team wins possession and the
ruck, maul, scrum or lineout has ended. The player is put onside by retiring behind the
applicable offside line. No other action of the offside player and no action of that player’s
team mates can put the offside player onside.

If the player remains offside the player can be put onside only by the action of the opposing
team.

There are two such actions:
1; Opponent runs 5 metres with ball. When an opponent carrying the ball has run 5 metres,
the offside player is put onside. An offside player is not put onside when an opponent
passes the ball. Even if the opponents pass the ball several times, their action does not put
the offside player onside.

2; Opponent kicks. When an opponent kicks the ball, the offside player is put onside.

Steve70

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
No, I mean he was not offside at any phase prior to the intercept - the tackle is over/the ruck is over - the reds run forwards, the blues give chase - the blue player just happens to find himself behind the running reds, chasing. But he intercepts their pass.....

He is not offside.....

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
As an addendum, there is no offside line at the tackle.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As an addendum, there is no offside line at the tackle.

As a second addendum,

There is no offside in open play.

Isn't strictly true. There is no offside in open play "for the team not in possession of the ball".
The team with the ball can be offside if they are in front of the ball carrier, or the last person from their team to play the ball.

From your scenario the intercept player was legal, and you were correct.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Right sorry Missed the bit that he was in the Tackle / ruck, yep all legal.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
No, I mean he was not offside at any phase prior to the intercept - the tackle is over/the ruck is over - the reds run forwards, the blues give chase - the blue player just happens to find himself behind the running reds, chasing. But he intercepts their pass..... He is not offside.....
He's not offside. It looks wrong but isn't.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
never listen to the crowd, they are usually stupid, incorrect, and clouded by alcohol.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How is this any different from tackling a player from behind?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Dastardly colonial tactic.

:biggrin: (honestly)

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I would say it's more French

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
That's why crowds go dolally when this happens

I can't imagine that this suppressive defensive tactic is going to remain legal for long .... It will be outlawed as soon as coaches show that it stifles the game. Then some daftass bright spark will go further & suggest the defending team retreat 5m at each tackle,

and then Browner goes to load his gun and unbox his crucifix !!!!

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Dastardly colonial tactic. :biggrin: (honestly)
I think it's quite clever. Shows a clear understanding of the laws and how to use them to your advantage.

I can't imagine that this suppressive defensive tactic is going to remain legal for long .... It will be outlawed as soon as coaches show that it stifles the game.
It does make it more awkward for the SH to chuck the ball to the No 10, but equally if there are 3 or 4 opponents blocking your back line, there must be gaps either out in their back line or around the tackle area allowing someone to pick the ball up and run upfield with it. As Carwyn James said "Its a thinking game".

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I think it's quite clever. Shows a clear understanding of the laws and how to use them to your advantage.

I meant the tackling from behind mentioned by Ian C!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

It does make it more awkward for the SH to chuck the ball to the No 10 ......

It was interesting to watch none of the players attempt to get the ball going around the side of the tackle to get the ball or ruffle up the scrum half. Instead they cut off the pass option , I can only imagine that they feared that the referee might consider them offside??? - presumably by virtue of the non existent tackle offside line that they have just stepped beyond.

It seems kinda strange that you can pressure so deep beyond the ball (ie.. stand by the 10) , but you'd be pinged if you went after the ball from a 90° angle at the tackle area or laid a finger on the 9....... Or maybe you wouldnt??

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I've never understood why teams "contest the ruck", and don't just leave it as a tackle, and allow the defence to form a "V" around the tackle, cutting out space for the attack.

Seem it done a few times (deliberately) on the field when reffing in RFUland. But not a consistent tactic.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've never understood why teams "contest the ruck", and don't just leave it as a tackle, and allow the defence to form a "V" around the tackle, cutting out space for the attack.

Seem it done a few times (deliberately) on the field when reffing in RFUland. But not a consistent tactic.

Its only the team that didn't take the ball into contact who would want to do this. The team that took it in will be trying to create a ruck to generate an offside line to keep the opposition back.

The only way I can see this working is for the tackler to "roll away and stay away", and/or to not get to his feet in the tackle area (ping) and/or for there to be no tackle assist, and therefore no-one for a team-mate of the tackled player to come into contact with while on his feet. This is not going to happen very often.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
It was interesting to watch none of the players attempt to get the ball going around the side of the tackle to get the ball or ruffle up the scrum half. Instead they cut off the pass option , I can only imagine that they feared that the referee might consider them offside??? - presumably by virtue of the non existent tackle offside line that they have just stepped beyond.

It seems kinda strange that you can pressure so deep beyond the ball (ie.. stand by the 10) , but you'd be pinged if you went after the ball from a 90° angle at the tackle area or laid a finger on the 9....... Or maybe you wouldnt??
If they did either of those things they would be rightfully penalised.

15.6(d) and 15.6(g)