[Line out] Ireland v Canada

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
What do you think of this LO from Ireland?

4:30 on game clock

It looked wrong when I first watched it.

Is Murray in line? (probably)

Is O'Brien 2m from line? No

Murray leaves the line to receive the pop down from POC and fires the ball to previous "receiver" SOB.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
O' Brien is more than 2m from line...which is perfectly legal(Minimum 2m).

All looks good to me.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Murray isn't really ever in the line -- he's about a 1m from it even before the ball comes in...

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
O' Brien is more than 2m from line...which is perfectly legal(Minimum 2m).

All looks good to me.

Where does a receiver being >2m from the line turn into "no reciever" and just a player being <10m from LO?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Where does a receiver being >2m from the line turn into "no reciever" and just a player being <10m from LO?

It doesn't turn into 'no receiver'...as long as he/she stand between 5m and 15m lines and "at least" 2m from his/her own players in the lineout.

When I see a player hovering in this position I try to clarify by calling "in or out" to them so that everybody knows he is receiver.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Looks fine to me.
Bigger battles to fight and all that.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No issues.

The front guy is not perfectly in line, but he's not obviously out of the line either (bit pedantic if you FK that for not 2 parallel lines), and he's just peeling off once the ball leaves the throwers hands? What's the issue? Or am I missing something?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
What's the issue? Or am I missing something?

Assume CM is in the line and therefore there are not 2 receivers. That being the case I think I am trying to get my head around is someone 8m back from the line a receiver (participating player) or someone 2 metres (all other players) offside?

Perhaps I'm thinking about it too much.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Assume CM is in the line and therefore there are not 2 receivers. That being the case I think I am trying to get my head around is someone 8m back from the line a receiver (participating player) or someone 2 metres (all other players) offside?

Perhaps I'm thinking about it too much.

Lee, I know it may look wrong to you.....but I assure you the receiver may stand any distance from the line of his players in the lineout as long as he is minimum 2m back.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Yes he is not in line and perhaps shoud have been asked to stay on the mark (though usually we worry about closing the gap)
But once he starts moving it is a clear peel and a pass to the receiver.
All his being out of line did was telegraph the move to the Canadians.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Lee, I know it may look wrong to you.....but I assure you the receiver may stand any distance from the line of his players in the lineout as long as he is minimum 2m back.

Thanks.

Ireland tend to come up with novel LO moves that on occasions have me go into WTF? mode. I recall the two peelers going backwards and then receiving the pass from the SH (receiver) was one of theirs. SOB too IIRC.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
The whole point of the 2m back for the receiver was so that they were clearly identified - we were getting issues of the receiver being almost in the line etc. So numbers in the line was not obvious to the opposition (or ref).

So provided it is clear and obvious to all that they are a not in the line, then they can have 1 person in the 5-15m channel, in front of the 10m offside line. This is how I allow teams to operate the "receiver". I'm not getting a measure out to check the 2m etc.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
No problem with the line-up but the throw ....... Jeeeze ... it's straight down the Irish line!

But, forgive me, I had forgotten that Canada is a Tier 2 rugby nation.

Last edited:

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
No problem with the line-up but the throw ....... Jeeeze ... it's straight down the Irish line!

But, forgive me, I had forgotten that Canada is a Tier 2 rugby nation.

Are you implying bias in a RWC match official?